In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Primer Variations

instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm just wondering how much a change in primer will effect a certain load. For example, one book will call for SR, while another will use SR Mag. These are the same cal, and nearly identical loads. Just wondering if there is a general rule as far as primer size goes? Err on the side of caution or the go big, go home guys.

Picture024.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Generally you use magnum primers with cartridges that use large amounts of slow burning powder. My rule is to look at several loading manuals before I decide on what primer I use. I keep some of all types of primers as it can make a difference in brand of primers on some loads.
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Instrumentofwar,

Primers will effect the accuracy of a load BIG TIME. This the reason why you should buy 100 of each type of primter you want to try to see what gives you the best results. By changing primers in my 308 load I went from 1MOA to a 1/2MOA load.

As for size ie Large Magnum to Large rifle, depends on what powder. I know a few people that use just regular Large Rifle primers in their 300win mags. Shoots fine until the temp drops to like the low 20s.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I always use mag primers with ball powders. The ball powders are harder to light, and after driving a few bullets out of the throat with a cleaning rod I made myself a promise never to mix regular primers with ball powders.

• Options
    edited November -1
    richbug- I think that may be what happened to one of my first batches with my 454. I got a bullet stuck in the barrel, but what really got me wondering was just about every empty case still had un-burnt powder still left in it.

Picture024.jpg
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Were you using H110, or win 296 powder? It is especially hard to light.

• Options
    edited November -1
    w/o checking my data I believes it was H110. I was using SR mag on that batch, but I don't think my crimp was heavy enough.

Picture024.jpg
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    IOW--
    You have to crimp those Casull cases almost to the point of collapse to make them work right. I always use R 7 1/2 primers with no problems using 296 & H-110

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.