In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38 super loads

New to reloading and trying to find load for my 38 Super with 130 grn FMJ and Win 231. These are the components I'm stuck with at this time due to an injury. All my manuals. Lyman,Speer and Lee do not cover this bullet or the powder (lee has 1 entry).
I'm looking for a minimum power target load for a Colt 1911 (80 series). any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Anyone want to give their pet loads for 38 super?? It is for open class in USPSA.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have only ever seen 1 load listed in any reloading manual that would make major, while still being within sammi specs for pressure. I believe it was Hodgdons LIL gun powder.

• Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    I know that generally the loads that go major are above the recommended pressure. Now that most of the open class shooters have gone to 9mm luger and are making major, I can imagine what kind of pressures they are running.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    10.5 gr SP2 (if you know where a supply is let me know all most out)
    124 gr Montana Gold JHP this load is for a hybred comp
    with a plain comped gun back it down to 8.0gr and see how it cronos and runs
    also try 8.5 gr of HS7 and work up

DVC

"Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ramshot silhouette will make power factor for the .38 super

http://www.ramshot.com/powders/loadguide.php#
  • Options
    RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try using around 8.3gr. to 8.9gr. of Vihtavuori 3n37 (very carefull at increments) with the 121 - 124gr. JHP bullets out there, Montana Gold, Star, Winchester and Remington. Chrono it to adjust making major and stop after you do so. Make minor adjustments in bullet seating depth and for accuracy and taylor it to your gun. Pressures are usually adequate. I assume you will be using small "rifle" primers. I use Winchester primers.

You should get a good balance of gases and fps to do the job and work your comp.