In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.41 Mag load for 170grn Sierra Bullets

ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone have any experiance with a load for the Sierra 170grn. JHP? I picked some up today and was wondering if anyone has any data on it. My recipe book has a load of H110 at 24 grains, seems high so I loaded 10 at 23.5 grains and 10 more at 21 grains.

Stay Alert! Stay Alive. Good luck out there.

Comments

• richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't suprise me if you have trouble with the 21 grain loads. My book shows 26.5 grains as a max load. Hodgdon advises not to reduce H110 loads by more than 3%. You may end up with some bullets stuck in your barrel, you are almost 20% under. H110 is hard to ignite, use only magnum primers, and keep the loads close to listed max.

• ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Roll crimp is standard in my book with the .41 mag. As far as the Magnum primers go, well I thought that's why they called them that. I've only used Federal Magnum primers and havn't had any problems with them. I'll be using my New Model Blackhawk 4 5/8 barrel. Really didn't think anything about dropping to 21 grains as the load data for the 210 jhp calls for 21 grains of H110. If it can push a 210 grain bullet down the barrel then makes since that it would not have any problem pushing a 170 grain projectile. Am I missing something here?

edited November -1
    OK, I haven't shoot my new loads yet. I was busy with two rifles this weekend instead. So I've got some time before I make it back to the range. Any others comments on these loads?

• dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    The 21 gr of H110 isn't an issue of pushing a lighter bullet with a charge that will push a heavier one OK. You have to understand that H110 is a finicky powder, for lack of better terms. For whatever reason it seems to have a narrow window of efficiency and works best at max or near max charges. It tends to have irregular ignition with light charges which can result in uneven and possibly dangerous pressure spikes. It is a dificult phenomina to explain (beyond my knowledge)but none the less something we have to deal with. It is one powder with which you need to closely follow published data and watch closely for pressure signs.
    edited November -1
    Thanks you dakotashooter2, that's what I was looking for.