In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

compressed loads

egatimraegatimra Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
Is there a secret to loading compressed loads? I am loadng 223 with varget and am trying imr3031. Because of the type of powder you naturally have voids or air pockets in the casing so you get over flow. So whats the secret to uniform loads? And to prevent spilling of powder?
Thanks

Comments

• egatimraegatimra Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    compressed loads good or bad? I was on Hodgson's web site looking at varget load data for 223 and they are all compressed loads. I thought I heard that compressed loads are bad.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing wrong with a compressed load, and in some cases it's benificial in preventing setback (big bore rifles).
    My "pet" load for my 30-06 has the powder 1/2 way up the neck, after the powder is settled.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Trust me on this one, Varget is "the" powder for 223. I read a study where compressing the loads actually slows the burn rate of the powder, allowing a heavier charge creating higher velocity, with lower pressures.

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    richbug,

I would really appreciate it if you could locate that article and either post it or e-mail it to me.

Thank you for your time and effort!

Best.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't already have a long drop tube from your powder funnel I would suggest picking one up. The load will still be compressed but the long tubes really do make a difference. Here's a link to an example.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=293879

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Nononsense, it is in one of the Lee manuals for sure, I think #2. I recall reading it elsewhere to but not sure where? I will look arround when I get a chance, but I have to work today.

rich

• egatimraegatimra Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I trust you richbug, I also have some 4064 that according to IMR gives some pretty good performance but is also a compressed load.
    edited November -1
    richbug,

Thanks, there's really no rush. I just need to gather some more of this information together, so when I see mention of compressed loads I ask about the source. I don't use the Lee manuals too often but I'll dig them out and take a look. In the mean time, if you do run across that study, please let me know, I'd appreciate it!

egatimra,

It has nothing to do with trust at all. It's a matter of gathering material for reference.

Best.
    edited November -1
    NoNonsense
    Have you reviewed the "compressed load" article/information in the A2 manual, starts on Pages 80-85.

Whittemore
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner,

E-mail on the way to you.

Best.

Geez, I'm really foggy today! You mean the A-Squared manual? Yes.

Let me know.

Best.
    edited November -1
    Reply sent, and Yes, A-Square.

Whittemore
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Egatimra,

First, many manuals have safe compressed loads listed in them. YES, they are safe if you are with the manual AND work up to it like they say.
    Second, my findings with compressed loads are that the harmonics are reduced because powder can be placed differently in each case unless held in position by being compressed. I have found that works with 4895 and Varget in my .223. However, I get the best accuracy using 24 grs. of XMR2015 which is not a compressed load. The best group I ever shot was with XMR2015(then BR)in a .222 Rem., ...not compressed.
    But again, accuracy has always improved with most powders using compressed loads in either rifle. I have not loaded with 4198 though in .222 or .223.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>