In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.65 x 53mm

7.65 x 53mm or Belgian Mauser or Argentine Mauser

I'm curious to know if anyone is loading this round? I'm curious to know about it's accuracy. I'm especially curious to know if anyone has a newer action with a custom barrel and the accuracy it's capable of when set up with minimum tolerances. The cartridge is similar in dimensions to the 308, so naturally, I'm wondering if it is capable of competing with it. ...Sierra has a 184 grain match bullet for it, is anyone using it and with what success?

Thank you for any information you can provide.
WR1

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I reload for my 1891 Argentine carbine. It is a long way from a target rifle. I think it is close to the 30-06 dimensionaly. I remember that back in the mid 1970's, it was popular to rechamber military 7.65 to 30-06. This was done on the later made FN and 1909 Argentine 98 mausers. They didn't bother to tell people that they were still .311" bores and they gave the cartridge a bad reputation for accuracy. I can't imagine a good reason to play with this cartridge as a match round. It has limited range of available bullets and brass compared to what you can get in a .308" diameter based rifle.
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive reloaded and shot the Argentine round for years, Ive had both the 91 and 09 mauser models. Ive never shot one that wasnt accurate. It can be loaded to surpass the 308 in velocity in an 09 but you should lighten up on a 91 as its not as strong as a 98 action. Ive never used anything but 150 gr .311 bullets from Sierra and most always get 3 shot, sub inch, 100 yard groups.