In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5x284 reloading suggestions

ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
In the not too distant future I will be getting a 6.5x284 wildcat hunting rifle. I think I've read where the 6.5x284 as made by Norma is loaded to higher pressures then the original wildcat versions. So my question is as to starting loads for accuracy and velosity development. The case capacity of the 6.5x284 is similar to that of the 6.5RemMag and I suspect that the lowest loading specs would be a good starting place. Also as this rifle is built on an intermediate length M98 action, the mag length is 3.0", which makes long bullets very practical. So I will be working with 125g to 140g bullets for the most part. Any thoughts, observations and load recomendations would be gladly read and thought upon.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ern98,

My first and the most strenuous suggestion is to make sure that you know which reamer your gunsmith is going to use to cut the chamber. This is going to have the biggest impact on loading and seating depths. If you are not familiar with all of the variations, you need to discuss this with your gunsmith. If he does not have an in depth working knowledge of the 6.5x284, I suggest that you find another gunsmith. Seriously. No offense to the gunsmiths that don't work with the 6.5x284, but it gets real tricky knowing what you can do these days and what shouldn't be done with this cartridge. Get the reamer maker involved if you need to. They can be a great asset.

The second thing to do after deciding on a reamer is to get your dies. If they have to be special ordered it can take extra time. You also need to get samples of the bullets that you intend to shoot and make dummy cartridges for the gunsmith to use for the chamber. The dummies can also be used to check the feeding from the magazine. Generally speaking, Match bullets like to be seated at or into the lands but this is not necessarily true of the hunting bullets. Make sure that you have some room to adjust the seating depths of the bullets that you want to use (reamer design).

This cartridge is like the 6PPC, there has been an enormous amount of work done with this cartridge therefore there is a lot information available. As far brass is concerned, I use Lapua instead of Norma because the Norma has been arriving softer than the Lapua. There are competitive shooters using Winchester .284 brass, necking it down and getting good results. Again, this figures into the reamer. The pressures haven't changed a lot over the years, but we have amassed a great deal more information about the cartridge.

Powders to consider:

V V N-165
    Re-22
    AA-3100
    H-4831
    Ramshot Hunter

Best.
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I received my 6.5-284 Winchester from Sharp Shooter Supply about two weeks ago. They reccomended Redding dies and I bought the Deluxe three die set because it includes a neck size die. The Lapua brass I got looked better than any brass I've had before.

The current Sierra Manual has a lot of Info. about the 6.5-284 Win. including a page of loads for 140 gr. bullets. My first two batches were with 44.7 gr of IMR 4831 and 45.1 gr. of Re-22 with mag primers behind 140 gr. Hornady soft points. I shot the forty rounds at 100, 200 and 300 yards and was very pleased with the gun. After sighting in, every shot was a dead groundhog. The IMR 4831 seemed to perform better than Re-22 but I haven't drawn any conclusions-I haven't started measuring groups.

Next I loaded 17 rounds with charges of H4831 SC starting at 43.3 gr. and going up to 48.1 gr. in .3 gr. increments with Federal match primers and Sierra 142 gr. Matchkings. I'm going to run a ladder at 300 yards to see if I can find a sweet spot for the gun. Depending on the results I'm planning to increase the range out to 1000 yards in 100 yard increments.

Be careful about using 6.5 Remington Magnum data. for the 6.5-284. The Sierra Manual shows a maximum of 46.7 gr. of IMR 4831 for the 140 gr. bullet in 6.5-284 while my Speer manual shows a load in 6.5 Rem. Mag.starting at 48 gr. and using a mag. primer. Best wishes, posh.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got lucky locally, a couple of friend had negelected to mention that they had bought a couple of the new editions of my reloading manual library. I've since had the chance to research thru the new; Barnes #3, Nosler #5, A Square #1, Honady 5th and the Norma #1 reloading manuals and I no longer am considering using the Rem data as a starting point. Thanks for the input.

Ern
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot the 6.5x55 a lot and its one of my favorites. I got the bug for a 6.5x06 or 6.5x284 a while back, like you have.
    After studying the Lyman load charts on both I decided the velocity gain is not worth the trouble.
    What I did do was put a Douglas bbl. in 6.5 x55 on a good strong 98 action.
    By carefully working up reloads a half grain at a time Im getting the same velocity as the widcats. The Swede ammo factory loads are held down because of the pre 98 actions . You can buy Swede brass easily and use standard dies , Ive found it far less trouble and get about the same end results. Just somethin to think about.