In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7stw & reloader 25

rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
im looking for data with this combo. ive got 140 & 150 bullits to shoot. ive tried reloader 22 and h 1000 not real impressed with them. alliants sight doesent start using reloader 25 until 160 grain bullits.

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    David,

When you can't find loading data from another source, there is a way to work up load data by using a chronograph. There are several article on the web that list test results from various authors, usually with velocities and not powder weights. So my suggestion would be to take a load from the Re-22 data, use Re-25 and start testing. Remember to start low and work up, checking for signs of pressure as you go.

Hodgdon #26 lists Re-22 and a 140 gr. bullet at 74 grs. to start and ending at 79 grs.

Barnes lists the same range.

Here is an article with some velocities that you can use to get started:

"...The 7 mm STW cartridge, developed by Layne Simpson of Shooting Times, is a natural for Remington, being their belted 8 mm Rem. Mag. case necked down to accept 7 mm bullets. Case length is 2.85", like the ancestral .375 H&H, and overall cartridge length should not exceed 3.6" in order to function through the magazine of a Model 700. With its minimal taper and 25 deg shoulder angle, the case holds plenty of powder: 84 grs. of a coarse, extruded propellant under the 140-gr. Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point bullet in the lot of ammunition Remington provided with a Model 700 Sendero test rifle. The '97 Remington catalog claims 3325 f.p.s. from a 24" barrel. The three reloading manuals I have that give data for the round (the A-Square, the Nosler #4 and the Barnes #2) list maximum velocities with 140-gr. bullets ranging from 3407 f.p.s. to 3473 f.p.s., from 26" test barrels. In the Model 700, the factory loads registered an average of 3448 f.p.s. for 47 rounds fired over the PACT chronograph skyscreens, set up with the start screen 10 ft. from the muzzle. Ambient temperatures ran from 90 deg F to 97 deg F."

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3623/is_199801/ai_n8759277

That should get you going.

Best.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to ask what your H1000 problems were? That is a great powder for that case capacity. Try losing those liitle bullets and jumping to 160gr+ pills.[8]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no problems out of the powders. just the best group was 1.5 inches at 100. i was hoping for sub moa out of this thing. so thought maybe the slower powder like the 25 might help it out.

thanks for your input.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not trying to be ignorant or coarse here,..but if you are only getting 1.5MOA at 100yds,..then I would look to a gunsmith and his findings before I went to another powder. It "sounds" as though she has an issue somewhere. Quite often a barrel contact point or bedding issue can be fixed and that 1.5moa will turn into a 3/4 or even 1/2MOA. The 1.5moa scares me,..and I would bee-line to the gunsmith.

Don't take this wrong,..BUT, is the recoil an issue for you? if so,..a muzzle break may bring you down to a better number. If that is not an issue,..then the gun MAY have something in need of professional attention. I have found just about every rifle manufactured in the past 15yrs to be capable of 1" at most, and very often far less with a good load. That is not limited to any one manufacturer either. Now,..I have seen them need a very LARGE amount of foreward pressure to get right (have a rem700 6.5x55 that needs almost the entire top of a pack of marlboro's shoved under the barrel at the stock tip to get consistent groups) Try shoving a folded business card under the barrel at the end of the stock and see if she comes down some.

I say this because a fellow BR shooter has used H1000 in the STW and his boys are absolutely whacking the deer on crop damage permits at 700yds and even more with the 162gr a-max. Remember, with that case capacity, you'll need a heavy bullet and lots of slower powders to get it to realy run strong and accurate. When you drop back to light pills, the small amount of powder relative to case capacity makes for inconsistent pressures and velocities ( a main reason for accuracy degradation)

Hope that helps.[;)]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?