In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shotshell Reloading

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just getting into shotshell reloading.Does the Mec 600 Jr Mark v size the hulls, or do I need to get the Sizemaster? Will only be using in pumps and side x sides. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have been reloading for rifle and pistol for 18 years now and would like to get into shotshells. Mainly for loading non-tox loads for waterfowl to save a ton of $.

What do you recomend for me. I go through about a case of ammo ever year and I seem to always pick up some friends who want loads as well.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not sure if this is something I'd ever get into, but I thought I'd ask.

How many times can you use a hull before you have to toss it. I know it would probably change as to how it's loaded, but a rough number would be helpful.

How much does it actually work out to per shell? If I were to do this, it would most likely be only target loads and I know those are fairly cheap for bulk purchase.

What are the overall advantages that you find? For me there are many in metallic reloading, but I'm not sure I see it in shotshell.

Thanks
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd definetly do some homework if you are planning to make loads with steel shot instead of lead shot. I know that the mec chargebars and the RCBS bushings don't work with steel, you have to get specific chargebars/bushings for steel. I am not even sure the RCBS Grand progressive press will work at all with steel. Another thing you may want to consider is where you will be able to get your hands on bags of steel shot, and on wads that are for steel, again a one ounce wad or 1 1/8th ounce wad is generally meant for lead shot. Since you want to save money you probably don't want to spend four or five hundred dollars just on a press set up for steel shot, maybe you want a single stage press like one of those lee units or the RCBS mini-grand, again before you buy anything I'd make sure everything will work with steel shot. I'd also suggest looking at the forums at shotgunworld.com and do a little digging on that web site, lots of bird hunters over there.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in the same boat, I've loaded hundreds of thousands of metallic shells but never shotshells. Well....I'm back Trap shooting to the tune of 500 to 700 double A's a week so it's time to reload them. I've done quite a bit of research and for me it's MEC. Thy have been the unspoken champs of shotshells for years and they have everything needed for any shell you want to load in any budget. Check them out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm going with a MEC too. It's the Steelmaster for me. Also I found a reloading supply outlet www.bucksrunsports.com only 15 miles away. Unfortunately they only deal in shot shell components. I could use a closer place to get all my rifle and pistol components. I am not going to save as much as I had hoped, but over time it will pay off.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't mind starting a new thread once your up and running with the mec Steelmaster to give us a report on it I would apprciate it. I'm just curious more than anything else.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dave,
    I certainly will.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    You can NOT go wrong with a Mec.