In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.243 win. reloading?

andy12390andy12390 Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
i just built a mauser 98 in 243. i have a heavy barrel from shilen with a 1-10'' twist. what bullet, brass, and powder would u guys/ girs, shoot out of it. i was thinking a berger 95gr. hp match. but im not sure what kind of powder, and what, if it matters, rand brass to buy. i would like new brass.

thanks

NEF 20 ga.
western field 12, double
marlin 70pss 22lr
mauser 98 7X57 (custom)
mauser 98 .243 (my own custom)

Comments

• andy12390andy12390 Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh ya, whats the deal on nickel brass? pros? cons?

NEF 20 ga.
    western field 12, double
    marlin 70pss 22lr
    mauser 98 7X57 (custom)
    mauser 98 .243 (my own custom)
  • danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A bit limited on my experience but on the 100 or so nickel plated stuuf i have reloaded i would say it is a little more brittle. started spliting case mouths quick.....but thats the only experience i have had with it.

0311 semper fi
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by danski26
    A bit limited on my experience but on the 100 or so nickel plated stuuf i have reloaded i would say it is a little more brittle. started spliting case mouths quick.....but thats the only experience i have had with it.

0311 semper fi

I second that opinion (experience).
    I buy bulk winchester brass from either WallyWorld or Cabelas for most of my reloading. I have to get Norma for the 7.7 Jap, though.

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I like this load:

Brass: Lapua
    Primer: CCI Bench Rest
    Powder: 42 gr RL-22
    Bullet: Nosler 95 gr Ballistic Tip
    Average Velocity: From 26" barrel, 2861 to 3035 depending on temp.

Group size from my Weatherby SVM: <3/8" at 100

Eric
    allamericanarmsco@frontiernet.net

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Hunter375Hunter375 Member Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't load .243, but for my 6mm Rem my pet load for range work is:
    R-P brass
    CCI primers
    90 gr. Sierra FMJ-BT
    45.8 grs. IMR-4350
    2.840" COAL

I know the COAL won't help you since the 6mm is a longer cartridge, but % case capacity used and the bullet might. The rifle is a Ruger M-77. 22" tube, 1:9" R/H twist. Always sub-MOA.

1:10" rifling should give you good stability with all bullets, save perhaps 105 gr. spitzers. IMR-4350 gives good load density without overloading. Good luck.

Save the seals-club a liberal instead.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    nickle brass= easy to keep clean, feeds from mag. easyer, less corrosion but less loadings/case. I use it for my hunting loads.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    nickle brass= easy to keep clean, feeds from mag. easyer, less corrosion but less loadings/case. I use it for my hunting loads.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Nickel brass will wear out a die quicker than a 22/6mm AI will wear out a barrel.
    Lapua brass is great but WW will work fine.
    95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips setting on top of enough H-4350 will make you very happy you used it.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Hunter375Hunter375 Member Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    Nickel brass will wear out a die quicker than a 22/6mm AI will wear out a barrel.

I keep hearing this from time to time, but After thousands and thousands of nickel R-P 10mm, my original RCBS carbide still works fine. Same goes for the non-carbide .50 AE die with Speer Nickel brass. So exactly how many nickel cases does it take to wear out a die? (I load nickel for the .280 as well)

Save the seals-club a liberal instead.
  • D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Favorite 243 loads:
    Sierra 85gr BTHP and 39 gr IMR 4064 this is a Gameking bullet but you can use it for everything ,varmints to deer.

Nosler 55 gr Ballistic Tip and 43 grs IMR 4064, strictly varmints, This combo made me sell my 22/250,same bullet weight ,higher velocity, 3shots in one hole @ 100 yds. in my Savage.

<BR>
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Andy,

My old standby load is 44 grs. of 4831 behind an 85 gr. bullet,Nosler, Hornady, Sierra all work.
    I am in the process of working up some loads using VV N150.
    I started at 39 grains and got an avg. of 3000 fps., again using Nosler BT, Sierra Varminter, and Speer. This is a mild load so a good place to start. It does show on Vihtavouri's reloading site as the max although it is nowhere near it. I still advise to work up slowly.
    The thing about the .243(.308) case is that due to it's shorter fatter powder stack it burns slower powders more efficiently than does a 6mm. It won't outperform a 6mm at the top end though. It likes slower burning powders like 4350, 4831 VVN150/160 whereas the longer somewhat thinner case of the 6mm takes to 4895, 4064,4320, VVN135/140 speed powders.
    For the 95 gr. I have used 38 gr. of VVN150 for 2932 Fps avg. and 42 grs of 4831 for about 2910 fps. avg. These weren't hot loads but are listed as around max. Nosler shows 44.5 grs. of VV N560 (nitro- glycerin added to N160) but I have not tried any of the 500 series yet. -hope that helps

P.S. I don't advise using Nickel plated brass unless you want a one time hot load. Very brittle. I have a friend I reload with and he used it. Some of it once, some of it twice and still got a few split necks. He just goes for better quality brass now.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>