In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading on a Budget - Where to start??

mparcelmparcel Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
I want to start reloading but don't but don't want to get a second job to get started. I currently have a .223, .243, .244, .257 Roberts, .270 WSM, 8 mm, and .300 Win Mag and would like to load for all of them but I shoot my .223 and .270 WSM the most. I have seen the Lee Anniversary kit go for well under $100, and although the price is about what I would like to pay - I don't want to buy junk either. I would like to stay in the $200 range.
Thanks for your help!
Mike

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Mike,
    Anything you buy new to get started will be fine. Get a reloading book first and read it. That will fill in a lot of questions. There are several starter kits available from the various manufacturers. All of them are fine. DILLON, RCBS, REDDING, HORNADAY and LEE are all reputable folks.

You can get used stuff after you learn what is good and bad.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try midsouthshooterssupply.com i've found them to be cheaper on many items.lee anniversary is $75.00

gun control is not about guns, it is about CONTROL!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you will find it hard to wear out a quality press and many of the manual reloading tools. The e-puke can be a place to snag some great deals and save money for more tools[:p]

I suggest as your first plunge into the pastime of handloading, that you buy 2 manuals from the manufacturers, and read comletely the begginning sections on the process of loading. I read several books prior to hitting the bench. I also had an experienced pard show me how to set up and use MY OWN gear before I started on my own loading.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    This is more than a reloading question...but more of a "tools" question.

There are several brands/models that will do the job. Would you rather buy something ONCE...that will last your lifetime of reloading...or spend money now...and then spend more money later to get what you need.

Buy a RockChucker. I would bet, more than 50% of the people that reload, have at least an RCBS single stage press on their bench (or close to it), alongside whatever their latest purchase is.

If you watch auctions on several sites, you can find a used RockChucker for $40. Same with all of the peripherals.

My setup:

RockChucker (only used for seating)$65 - shipped to me - literally looks new
    Jr 2 - $25
    Jr 3 - $30
    RCBS powder thrower (used) $20
    Stand for above - $8 at a garage sale
    Scale - 505 model $5
    Forster case trimmer - used - $25
    Forster COMPLETE accessories - all the pilots & more - $40
    cartridge trays - $15 (I also use factory trays from 45 ACP & foam trays for 9 mm-work PERFECT for 223 brass)

I do purchase new dies. I like my carbide dies from RCBS for the 44 & 357 magnums.

I REALLY like the new dimension Hornady dies for bottle neck rifles - extremely slick setup for seating bullets.

Look around...deals are out there.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Found this for you...How about a rockchucker supreme for $120?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=39128572
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I, too just got started on the reloading game. I got a Lee Classic cast-iron press, much better then the Anniversary model, and not a lot more expensive. I got dies from Lee, too, much cheaper then the competition. I got the RCBS Ammo-Crafter set (second hand at a gunshow), had the Uniflow powder thrower, a powder trickler, a scale, a deburring tool, and a bunch of other accesories. I can reload quite nicely on that, but for maximum life for my brass, I'll eventually need a case trimmer, too. I don't really have enough demand for a case cleaner setup, I can clean them by hand.

All told, I'm out less than $150 so far, not counting powder, bullets, and primers.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    ~Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here

"Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~President George W. Bush
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcloco
    Found this for you...How about a rockchucker supreme for $120?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=39128572

Go with the Rock Chucker...RCBS will last you a life time.

Eric
    allamericanarmsco@frontiernet.net

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    mparcelmparcel Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found a Rock Chucker Master Kit (not the Supreme) locally that I can pick up for $200. Midway says that it is discontinued - is there something wrong with this kit? It looks like it has almost all the things I need to get started. I want to go with RCBS as that seems to be the general concensus on what I should get started with - thanks to everyone for your help and advice.
    Mike