In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Savage Model 12

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
Does anyone here have any personal experience with these guns? I've not been a fan of the savage guns in the past, but may reconsider. I'm not lookin for anything to use in organized competition, but rather for my own ammusement. I hope what ever I do, that the gun will shoot sub moa with proper hand-loads. I'm thinking of a 308 win. cal. Comments Please HAWKSHAW

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have one in the BVSS model. Savage 12 that is. 1:9 twist.

You are asking for sub MOA? Factory gun. Nikon Buckmaster 14X scope. Lapua brass, BLC2 powder, 26 gr. CCI match grade primers. Hornady 50 gr Vmax. I know, that twist rate should have heavier bullets, but it is what mine likes. 300 yards.

10 shots. 0.91". From a bench of course, but not a lead sled or other mechanical device.

Is sub minute of angle at 300 yards (that would be 1/3 MOA) good enough for you? [;)]

Granted mine is a .223, but it still shows the quality that goes into this gun. I particularly love the accutrigger. Being mainly a military gun shooter, it combines the best of the 2 stage military trigger with modern design and is fully adjustable down to just a hair's breadth kiss to set it off.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage with the tactical (heavy) barrel are amazing..... I've shot one in .222 and one in .223 both capable of quarter inch groups easily with good handloads. They've been bedded into benchrest stocks and wear good glass with adjusted or replaced triggers but it still speaks volumes for a factory barrel.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage 12FV still one of my most accurate rifles...even after 2700 rounds down the barrel.

I personally think it will take a fair amount of money and a good gunsmith to beat any Savage model 12 for accuracy out of the box. It can be done but not so easily anymore.

My favorite saying about Savages comes to mind: "They put all the money in that rifle where it needs to be. If there was anything left over, they paid someone to make it look ugly."

They're not all ugly anymore. But most every model 12 I've come across is one heckuva shooter.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a savage 112J HB in 25-06, its a shooter, but then never seen a savage that wasn't.
    DSC_0629.jpg
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FrancF,

That's a kind of a purty gun....
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    FrancF,

That's a kind of a purty gun....

Gunsmith Estate sale $850- He knew what he was doing! B&L 6-24 1/8" cam click, Trigger is at about 2lbs,. With factory ammo it punches one nice ragged hole @ 200 yrds.