In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Range day. With good bad ugly.

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
Spent all morning at range as I didn't have to fly 'til 2:30pm. New 7mm SAUM, checking velocity on son's 270 WSM, and practice with 25 WSSM(the troublesome rifle).

The 7mm is new to me, new scope on it.
1st load was 139gr SST over H-4350. Loaded to .010 from lands. Single shot only. All shot well, Every group was less than 2", if I measure when I get home, I bet all are under 1.5" Many touching. Velocity was up to 3170.

Next was 139 SST over Hybrid 100V. Single shot again. Again good accuraccy. Velocity up to 3300fps.

First hiccup, scope issues. Elevation tracked perfect. Left and right was troublesome. Had issues getting it to move left. Will call customer service.

All groups had minimal vertical string, so I feel my shooting and possibly scope had most effect on left right group size. It was only 100 yards. I had the other rifles and took many breaks as I had put a lot of rounds through that rifle by now.

Test on 270 WSM: I have 2 loads, both shoot well for the last 2 years. Both 130 SST, one with Mag Pro, other with RL-17. Both shoot well under 1 MOA, have shot .5 but usually .7-.8. Just wanted to check velocity. Mag Pro was 3150fps, RL-17 was 3300. [:0] And I only use 60.8 grains.

Back to 7mm info.
139 gr laoded to mag with IMR4350. Again shot well, most over 1" but less than 1.5" Velocity was over 3200, but could not equal the Hybrid velocities. This was last test of day, my shoulder and time were telling me to pack up. Felt good about new rifle, disappointed in new scope, but time will tell if handledwell.

25 WSSM "issues" A-bolt
I come to the conclussion this a 2 shot rifle. I can't get it to group well. On a cold barrel it does well. But if I try and shoot a 3 or 5(oh boy) it opens huge. I know it shouldn't matter hunting but when you prctice it makes you loose confidence in it. I let all my rifles cool between strings, single load at range. All data on all 3 rifles was 3-6 rounds over 2-3 minutes then let cool. Too bad, its such a nice rifle to hunt with and it would be nice for Mule Deer/ Antelope and smaller. I was actually going to rebarrel it with a 24-25 inch magnum or lt varmint contour barrel but my local gunsmith won't touch a Browning. It might go to the back of the safe.

One more question: I use a Pro Chrony. It seems to work great when I'm in the shade, also when in direct sun with shades on. But when the sun is quartering it seems to get irratict at times. Is that just the nature of the units? Yea, rambling done now. Done grade spelling, using a tablet at airport. Keyboard is too small.

Comments

• Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EDIT: the demeanor of this forum demands the removal of childish posts, therefore I removed yours.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you try moving the scope windage one full turn to see if that moved impact?

Put a wal mart bag over the chrony sky screens it will diffuse the light and make the bullet shadow register better.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My range is set up so that I shoot straight north. At noon, when the sun is angled in behind me, the Oehler 35P screen defusers are defeated and I get error messages. I suppose I could put a big beach umbrella or something over the whole screen set-up to keep the sun out of there but I just break for lunch for an hour or two. When I get back, everything works fine again.