In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The good ol 270 win

375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just did a search in the shooting forum on the 270 win .
Was looking to see what the forum fella's had to say on the round .

Anyway , I was wondering if anyone here hunts/shoots the grand Slam bullets by Speer . I just loaded 3 boxes , 130gr GS , 57gr IMR 4831 , and a fed 210 primer in Remington brass .

Saturday , I will get to the range to sight in a 760 carbine , that will be my rifle of choice for this years Pa. deer season .

I was ( and still do ) use Nosler's accubond bullets , but I got a heck of a deal on the Speer bullets over on the auction side ( $85.oo for 500 bullets ), I decided to give em a try .

I'm sure the deer can't tell if they get shot by an accubond or a Grand Slam , and at that price I can shoot a bunch of em ( bullets that is , not deer )and when I get low , I'll head back over to auction side and get more [:p]

I'm sure they will shoot just fine , just wondering if anyone else shoots em ????

Comments

• Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good deal to me. I'm a big fan of 4831sc myself for the .270win. My rifle seems to really like the 150gr bullets more than the 130gr. I load 56.3grs of 4831sc with a Hornady 150gr SP, and my 710 love it.

Speer grand slams have been out for a while. I remember in some circles they were considered to be more of a premium bullet. Now everything is solid copper HP's and bonded hard cores. But when it boils down to it, I've never heard of anyone having problem with the cheap old Remington yellow and green box ammo with its Remington SP bullets, so I don't think your going to have any problems with a better Speer bullet.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by leeblackman
    Sounds like a good deal to me. I'm a big fan of 4831sc myself for the .270win. My rifle seems to really like the 150gr bullets more than the 130gr. I load 56.3grs of 4831sc with a Hornady 150gr SP, and my 710 love it.

Speer grand slams have been out for a while. I remember in some circles they were considered to be more of a premium bullet. Now everything is solid copper HP's and bonded hard cores. But when it boils down to it, I've never heard of anyone having problem with the cheap old Remington yellow and green box ammo with its Remington SP bullets, so I don't think your going to have any problems with a better Speer bullet.

Those bullets will work just fine. I loaded for a friend using 55.4 gr. of H4831sc behind a 140 gr. Accubond. Those chrono'd at about 2960 from his rifle (Rem 700 BDL). Easily attained velocity and very accurate. I'll say it again to those who haven't heard it from me. The .270 is very far from being obsolete. Even if I never was a fan in my early years. I am now.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    58gr H4831sc
    130gr NBT
    win brass

Very accurate and a deer killing machine[;)]
  • Options
    Tel005Tel005 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my Win likes 140gr Nosler boattails, but I got much better groups backing up to 49.5gr of powder.
  • Options
    Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunted last year in Pa. with my .270. I used 130 gr accubonds and they worked fine. My hunting partners recomended 150grs. though.
  • Options
    grandmangrandman Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don`t know, but sounds like a good deal on bullets to me. I am just starting to load for the .270 and will keep a watch on this site for more loads. I am going to load 130 gr. Noslers, we`ll see how they do. I sited the gun in with 130 gr. remmington chor-loks. at a 100 yards for about a .75 MOA. I am interested to see how they will do at 200 yds and beyond. Go luck. Go to www.ammoguide.com and you will find all of the reloading info you need on just about any round out there.
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was lucky enough to find time to get out and fire a few of those 130gr Grand Slams , best I could get out of the little 18 1/2" carbine was right around 2" groups @ 100 yards ,

I'll be hunting thick sidehills and jagger patches , so most of my shots will be well under 100 yards , the rifle should be just fine .

Here's a link to another good deal from the fella , I bought the G.S's from , they look like Hornady bullets .

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=192222147
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 375H&H
    I was lucky enough to find time to get out and fire a few of those 130gr Grand Slams , best I could get out of the little 18 1/2" carbine was right around 2" groups @ 100 yards ,

I'll be hunting thick sidehills and jagger patches , so most of my shots will be well under 100 yards , the rifle should be just fine .

Here's a link to another good deal from the fella , I bought the G.S's from , they look like Hornady bullets .

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=192222147

I'd say they look like Hornady SST's. Unless they are Nosler seconds. They have the wrong color tip and shouldn't have cannelures if they are Noslers. So, I guess they could be seconds. I'd say more Likely the Hornady SST's.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agreed the .270 is a excellent round. Those groups sound good for a short barrel. Those 130's should fly nice on long shots in 270...