In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm Rolling Block

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
I'm tired of hunting with the .270's and .257 bolt guns and thought this year I'd try my old, but mint, Remington Rolling Block. Don't want to risk damage to the rifle or myself, but it looks like 140 grain jacketed bullets should push along in the 2,400 to 2,500 fps range which would be fine for my intended purpose; i.e. eastern whitetail at under 50 yards. I have some H414 and Winchester 760. Also a bunch of 175 bullets if the Remington doesn't care for the shorter and lighter slugs. Anyone have experience loading for this cartridge/rifle combination? Love to hear your experiences.
Thanks,
Rob

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCrosby,

Lots of experience loading for the 7mm Mauser. Just stick with the low loads in the moderate to slower powders. That way you won't get high pressure spikes upon firing and you'll get a little more push down the barrel. My suggestion is to just go easy with the 175's and any flavor of 4831. No need to go to any of the Reloader powders (or any double based powder) as they have nitro in them to boost pressure. You may also try VV N160 if you have some of that.

Again, stick to starting loads and you won't worry about high chamber pressure. FWIW, the original Spanish Mauser load was a 173 gr. round nose bullet pushed to about 2360 fps. Before I even wasted any time loading 175's I see what the twist is. You won't get stability with anything slower than 1-9". My target 7x57 with a 1-10" will stabilize Berger 168's but not Sierra 175 SMK's. It will stabilize the 175 GK's, which are shorter than the 175 SMK's.

Good luck with this![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior,
    Thanks for the advice. I'd been thinking that the slower, heavier bullet might be the way to go, and I have plenty of H and IMR 4831. Also a chronograph and no desire to set any speed records. I'll let you know things go.
    Rob
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    FWIW, I've loaded for 2 rollers in 7mm and both 'liked'the 140's better, also the med. burning powders like 3031 or 4320. The slower powders like 4831 liked to be 'packed tight' (100% to 105% of case cap.) otherwise your std. dev. goes up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well guys, early results are in.
    Tried low end loads with 3031 & 140 grainers, and 175 grain jacketed bullets with low recommendations on IMR 4831. All turned in groups around 1 to 2 inches at 50 yards.
    Some 160 grainers put 3 shots in about 3/4" and 145 Hornady's , which it clearly likes, went into about 1/2 inch. (Both loads with 4831 at about 2,500 fps.)
    Now all I have to do is put a little paint on the front sight and find a replacement rear sight that I can file a larger notch into without hurting the original. That, and taking a body building course from Charles Atlas so I don't damage my arm and shoulder muscles trying to pull the trigger. It's off the charts on my little RCBS guage.
    Wish me luck, and thanks for the help!
    [:D][:D]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck![:D] {insert pic of me rolling up a 25#'er with just my index finger}