In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

RCBS Bullet Puller

calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
I have the RCBS inertia, hammer like, bullet puller. I always have made a dummy round to check things out after I measure for gap from the lands. My problem is on the WSM and the WSSM. They don't fit, to fat. Is the there a fix to this or do I need a different puller.

Comments

• calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    I undercharged some rounds and I wanted to pull the bullets and correct it. Right now, I only have a kinetic bullet puller. I saw the bullet puller collets at Sportsman's Warehouse but I didn't know if there is more that I need. My dies are RCBS as well.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will need the die to hold the collets.

Added There are different designs for collets. I have the Forster style (it gets tighter when pulled on) the RCBS style gets looser when pulled on). For production pulling a collet style is the cats meow. Oh and if pulling military or other sealed ammo, setting the bullets a tad deeper first helps break the glue bond.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've used both kinds, and prefer the kinetic. I sold my RCBS collet puller.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have and use both kinds. For a few rounds, the kinetic gets the nod just because it's quicker than changing dies in the press. But if I have to pull more than a couple, the collet type absolutely wins. If I have to pull a LOT, I even mount a separate light-duty press (the little Lee job) with a C-clamp and have at it.

You can even pull bullets with just your press and a pair of slip-joint pliers in an emergency. Remove the die, run the round up through the top of the press and grip the bullet with the pliers held vertically. Lower the ram and the pliers will cam into the press hole exactly like a collet. CAUTION! this method can distort the top thread in the press if too much force is used. You can fix THAT by running a die in from below (upside down) until the die thread chase the press thread out.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters

But with kinetic, you lose the powder.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan

Not with any I've seen. In mine, the bullet and powder drop out into the body of the kinetic puller; you then dump this out in a dish, and lift the bullet out. The powder can be reclaimed.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk

Not with any I've seen. In mine, the bullet and powder drop out into the body of the kinetic puller; you then dump this out in a dish, and lift the bullet out. The powder can be reclaimed.

I never thought about reclaiming the powder. Hmmmm... either way, I think that a bullet puller would be a good tool to have.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady has a collet puller that looks really neat, though I haven't tried it. Like Rocky , I have a small Lee press that gets the nod for my bullet pulling with the RCBS unit. If I was starting fresh, I'd try the hornady.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the kinetic and the collet type, both RCBS!

I prefer the kinetic (rcbs) because I drop in a couple of the foam earplugs and this keeps from distorting the bullet points when they turn loose and I can also reclaim good undistorted bullets for reloading! When buying a kinetic I suggest buying a RCBS or a Hornady because they both have a lifetime warrenty on all! You can get the free aluminum hull holders or anything else that breaks. Some of the others brands will cost you half the cost of the whole thing just for the Hull holders. You can also reclaim the powder!
    I use the collet type if I get into bullets that are really hard to pull and do not care much for saving the bullets! They collet types will distort the bullets, although I have test fired distorted bullets in hunting rifles and found that the group average would still be same at 100 yards, but I'm not at ease firing a distorted jacketed bullet down the bore of a good rifle!
  • .410shooter.410shooter Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the kinetic one myself, but I do not use the hull holders that came with it. The proper RCBS(or other) shell holder will slide right on and go thru the hole in the cap to hold things in place. Just quicker to get shells in and out.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1

We pulled about 300 9mm. a while back and didn't lose a grain.
    A friend under charged them and we used two kinetic pullers.
  • grady mitchellgrady mitchell Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have bullet collets listed here on the gb site go to search under seller name shady grady
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grady mitchell
    i have bullet collets listed here on the gb site go to search under seller name shady grady

Sorry. I ordered them from midway two days ago. 45 and 44.