In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

HSM bullets

calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
Bought a box of HSM bullets today (38 cal. 158 gr. HP.) They're plated, not jacketed. How fast can I push these bullets? Berry's bullets are also plated and they say not to drive them faster than 1200 fps, but I've loaded some of them up pretty hot in my 357s and never had a prob.

I've got some H110 I've been wanting to try out, but if they're going to shed their plating in my barrel I'll just dial back on the bears if need be.

Comments

• calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    I was at Sportsman's Warehouse looking at the reloading supplies. The cheapest bullets were HSM Round Nose Lead Cast. I can't find HSM in any reloading manual though. Would I just use the generic lead cast info that matches the weight?
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In this instance, yes. Cast bullet data doesn't change much if at all with differing bullet shapes - and not all that much with weight.

Jacketed bullets are a whole 'nuther thing, though. Data there can be VERY dependent on bearing length, jacket material, nose shape and more.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • SammowrySammowry Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HSM - Hunting Shack Munitions

Loading data for plated and cast bullets:

quote "Consult a loading manual and select a comparable lead bullet in weight and style and use that load data for cast bullets. If you don't have access to load data for lead bullets, reduce the load for a similar jacketed bullet by 10%."

Is that what you wanted?

Hope I helped.
    Sam
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sammowry
    HSM - Hunting Shack Munitions

Loading data for plated and cast bullets:

quote "Consult a loading manual and select a comparable lead bullet in weight and style and use that load data for cast bullets. If you don't have access to load data for lead bullets, reduce the load for a similar jacketed bullet by 10%."

Is that what you wanted?

Hope I helped.
    Sam

Thank you very much.