In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Kinetic bullet puller and primers

calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
Do kinetic bullet pullers mess up the primers at all? Does some of the primer material get knocked loose and make the primer less effective?

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    never had a problem with any of the rounds I have pulled and re-seated.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    Not a bullet puller issue but I had a primer drop in upside down and I seated it that way. I put my deprimer die in and slowly and carefully popped it out. I turned it over and seated it properly. I put the brass in the reloading block with the primer up. When I grabbed the casing, I noticed a little bit of yellow powder in the bottom of the reloading block. Will this primer be dead? Or less effective?

I marked it as a possible dud so that if it doesn't fire, I know why.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't know about that one. I would think that the powder was from somewhere else??? priming compound isn't really a powder per-se unless it deteriorated or was disrupted during de-priming the first time. Primers are cheap, I throw them away if I make a mistake with them, it's just not worth the hassle.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a problem with federal brass in my lee dies

for what ever reason I load a piece of federal 45 acp and the dang things won't gauge

some times I miss one and when I do I toss it in the "to be pulled" box

I removed bullet/powder & primers from those cases and notice a little yellow powder from the primers but they go BANG when reused.

Unless you run your press like a Jack hammer they shouldn't POP when removed even if they are upside down. unless you can generate enough force (like with a hammer) they can't go off (urban myth IMO)

the primer compound is like tannerite it takes a lot of velocity to start the explosion.