In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Load for 30-30

lcflcflcflcf Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
Hello, I have some 170 gr. silver tip bullets I bought from Midway, Anyone have a load for them, Thanks, Les

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Possibly THE classic load is 30.0 of 3031 (and you use 31.0 with a 150-gr slug).

Other great loads are 32.0 of RL-15, 35.0 of W748 or 28.5 grains of IMR4895. Those are at or near max, so reduce to start. Seat right to the cannelure and crimp lightly. All use standard LR primers.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    SkeedaddySkeedaddy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Seat right to the cannelure and crimp lightly
    I agree with Rocky, medium burning rate rifle powders work best in the .30-30, but I would be careful with "light" crimps. It is recommended to crimp reloads that will be used in rifles with tubular magazines. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't--perhaps because I full length resize my .30-30 cases. The neck tension has always been sufficient to keep the bullets in place without a crimp in my Mod. 94 "tubular" rifle. Certainly crimping does no harm as long as the bullet has a crimping cannelure. I would stack 6 bullets, shoot a couple, then measure the rest; Just my 2 cents...
  • Options
    lcflcflcflcf Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A belated thank you to Rocky and Skeedaddy for the info, Regards, Les