In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New scope

uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
I was having a hard time distinguishing which scope I wanted to purchase for my 308. I went with a Vortex 6x24x50 target knobs sun shade and illuminated mil-dot. Built like a rock

pa070279.jpg

pa070280.jpg

Can't wait to squeeze the trigger!!!!

-JD

Comments

• Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good looking combination! I have a 6x24x50 on my Ruger Gray .223 w/ heavy bbl.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Took me a little bit longer time to save for it, but I need to afford a wedding for my fiance and I. I finally picked it up, and I will be loading some rounds for it shortly! I will keep everyone updated!

-JD
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been hearing some really good feedback on the Vortex scopes. Congrats!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks! I have been doing a lot of research and the reviews of the Vortex have been great! I got a really good deal because I live in Wisconsin and it is really close to my apt. Ok Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I laminated a cheat sheet using my mil dot and turrets.

1 Click @ Distances (1/4" Click Adjustments)
    50 yards
    1/8"
    100 yards
    1/4"
    200 yards
    1/2"
    300 yards
    3/4"
    400 yards
    1.00"
    500 yards
    1.25"
    600 yards
    1.5"
    700 yards
    1.75"
    800 yards
    2"
    900 yards
    2.25"
    1000 yards
    2.5"

1 Mil Width @ Distance (14 power)
    100 yards...........3.6"
    200 yards...........7.2"
    300 yards...........10.8"
    400 yards...........14.4"
    500 yards...........18.0"
    600 yards...........21.6"
    700 yards...........25.2"
    800 yards...........28.8"
    900 yards...........32.4"
    1000 yards...........36"
    Formula for Ranging your Target
    Known Dimension of target (in yards) X 1000
    Mil-Dot Reading

This information is using the manual that came with the scope and my 1/4" click adjustments. I hope I got it right! Thanks again. I will get a range report...within 3 weeks.

-JD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is my cheat sheet correct with my calculations? Thanks

-JD
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Awesome good luck with it. Any problems with mounting the big objective lens?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ya I had Medium Leupold 30MM rings. Medium are suppose to go to 50 MM objective. This is so massive med wouldn't work. I forgot to take in consideration that the barrel is a bull barrel not a normal taper. I needed to step up to highs and got em. I took it to a guy tho and he bore sighted and did all the elbow grease stuff. Great guy, awesome shop. I got the scope and rings from him and he mounted everything for free!! I wish I can find more of that service but it is rare. Because of it, I will return to his shop more often and for more business!

-JD
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your first list of numbers should be actual data for your bullet and velocity. There are several ballistic calculators on the web.

Here is a nice PDF

http://www.mil-dot.com/Content Images/The_Derivation_of_the_Range_Estimation_Equations.pdf
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    depends,....is you scope calibrated in 1/4" adjustments?? MOA adjustments?? or Milrad adjustments?? It should say under the turret caps.

also, your formula seems off. The known dimension of a target (height) will not be in yards, but usually in inches or feet. the calculation will yield the distance in yards-to-target.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The scope is in 1/4" adjustments. That is the equation that was in the manual. I know that if do it in inches (not yards), you multiply by a different number like 27.78 (that is a memory guess off the top of my head). The mil-dot reading is at 14 power, but i think it is correct. I just want to squeeze the trigger and get a range report from it! That might happen this weekend.

-JD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Range Report:
    I shot it this weekend. Got a 2.55 inch group outside to outside on Friday at 300 yards. Unfortunately it was with factory ammo. I'm going to reload it soon with 175grs. I'll tighten that group soon! Thanks!

-JD