In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FYI not too happy with Eley ammo

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I had misfires, during a match, with Eley Sport back in August. I sent the ammo back, including some of the misfired rounds. That stuff is expensive, too expensive to allow misfires without recourse or answers.

I followed up and was told it could take six weeks for the lab to determine the cause of the failure. They got the ammo on 08-13-10. Seems that 10 weeks would be enough time to get back to a customer or at least send my ammo back so I can shoot watermelons with it at 10 feet.

Not happy with Eley, too bad Remington bought them and messed up the best ammo on earth.

RANT OVER>

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    eley 'sport' is made in Mexico[xx(], but usualy shoots well....as far as 'expensive'.......you haven't bought any ten X lately. have you tried your lot in another rifle?
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Ely Sport == aguila

Both not much cheaper than wolf.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    are you sure it isn't your pin?

you didn't say anything about the make and model of gun

those fancy race guns always go down
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Next match, do what I do; take 3 different lots from different manufacturers, or go with a tried-and-true lot of Federals.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea I stopped buying Eley sport as soon as I shot my first group with it. When I'm getting better groups in everything with plain cheap Remington Thumderbolt.... Somethings wrong.

I bet your ammo is probably sitting on a shelf somewhere. The same place it will be sitting 20 years from know.... The same place it sits until they are cleaning out the building for demolition ;)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Odawgp

My pistol is a Browning Buckmark. The firing pin hits are solid and deep. I had a FTF at a recent match with CCI standard velocity, the most used ammo in NRA bullseye competition.

My unscientific general impression is that 22 ammo is suffering from a general quality decline due to pressures from conglomerates to increase production with less. There is a definite increase in misfires with top shelf ammo, for that, there is no excuse from the makers. We pay for the best, it is reasonable to expect the best.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "We pay for the best, it is reasonable to expect the best.".......THAT IS THE PROBLEM......you want "THE BEST" at bargain basement prices. Buy some 'top of the line' eley or lapua at $15/box and you'll get better preformance.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Eley sport is ok kinda depends on the lot you have. Like several have said you get what you pay for...between the Eley sport and Wolf I would go with the Wolf, they are about the same price. If you find a cheap price and it shoots very well buy up all of the lot you can find and have fun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy
    Eley sport is ok kinda depends on the lot you have. Like several have said you get what you pay for...between the Eley sport and Wolf I would go with the Wolf, they are about the same price. If you find a cheap price and it shoots very well buy up all of the lot you can find and have fun.

I just got a couple of bricks of Wolf Match Extra up at Champions Shooters Supply. I have never had a FTF with it. Federal Champion #710 shoots well but I am getting a 1% fTF rate with it, I am down to three bricks left.

I'll stick to the Wolf for now. After paying 42 bucks for the brick of Eley Sport I am rather soured on Eley. The Eley 10X EPS shoots OK but is too expensive to shoot all the time.
  • Options
    cnsaycnsay Member Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best luck I have had is CCI Blazer .22's. Ran a few bricks without a failure. Worst has been American Eagle lots of failures. Did have a brick of Remington Thunderbolts with 3-5 failures in the first few 50 packs. Contacted them and they had me box up the brick and send it back, they sent me a new brick and said the ammo I returned did have some priming compound issues with it.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    quote:Originally posted by Odawgp

My pistol is a Browning Buckmark. The firing pin hits are solid and deep. I had a FTF at a recent match with CCI standard velocity, the most used ammo in NRA bullseye competition.

My unscientific general impression is that 22 ammo is suffering from a general quality decline due to pressures from conglomerates to increase production with less. There is a definite increase in misfires with top shelf ammo, for that, there is no excuse from the makers. We pay for the best, it is reasonable to expect the best.

I wish I shot well enough to worry about testing lots of ammo

I shoot what is available and deal with the alibis as needed I shot a little less than 5k aguila and about the same cci and didn't notice any more or less failures

the club went through about 35k rounds of aguila this year I didn't hear many complaints
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Bpost: I would not agree that CCI is the "most used in bullseye" anymore, at one time yes (now to many lots have excessive wax). Ely sport is their low grade, however, many of our bullseye shooters use it with no issues. I have used Aguila for many years in numerous type guns with no issue other then you need to put in a lighter spring.

The Wolf is very good ammo (also known as "Standard Plus")but it is double the cost of the Ely sport ($525 vs. $260/case).

If the first round in your magazine is always firing fine and the problem is #2-#5, look at getting a little lighter spring for the gun.

Best of luck
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Granted my recent 22 ammo purchases are non existant. Quit buying it when I started to pay more than a dollar a box. Good thing I quit shooting a half brick to a brick a day 20 years ago and still have a 20K round plus supply. At that time I refused to buy remingtons in any grade because of 2-3 FTF per box. Winchester ammo generally provided 1 FTF/100. CCIs about 1/200or300 and Federal FTF were non existent. My last brick worth of 20 year old lightings used to trim hanging limbs after last winters ice storm went bang everytime.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Fed 710 are about as cheap as I would go and still expect some to fire. I use tested lots of 711 and the Olympic stuff seems it was UM something; I don't remember and I'm not at my ammo magazine right now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Eley never did respond with a reason for the failure(s) to fire. After complaining about the delay in reporting back to me Eley said they would send Agulia to replace the Eley ammo I sent in.

Wolf Match Target will now be the ammo of choice.