In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38 spl reloading

Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi guy's, I just got a 38 spl. My question is, I have 357 mag dies and brass, can I use the 357 dies and trim the brass to 38 spl length to reload for the 38 spl? I don't have a 357 and the shells would stay in my personal stock.

Comments

• Options
    marc2564marc2564 Member Posts: 169 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a lot of work,since 38 special cases are so plentiful, But
    I see no reason it would be unsafe.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ya, Its just that I hate to pay for anything I don't have to, and I got the time.
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to say, but the .357 crimp die won't work with the shorter .38 spl. case. You could grind or file the die to the shorter length. Now if the box of dies say 38/357 you are in business. You can load the longer cases with the shorter die but not the opposite. In the old days I made a spacer to put in place when loading the 357 with 38 dies. This way I didn't have to readjust each time I changed calibers. I did the same with 44spl/44mag. Eddie
  • Options
    ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pistollero1050
    Hi guy's, I just got a 38 spl. My question is, I have 357 mag dies and brass, can I use the 357 dies and trim the brass to 38 spl length to reload for the 38 spl? I don't have a 357 and the shells would stay in my personal stock.

How much 357 brass ya got? I got lots of 38 special brass I don't need. Maybe we could work out a trade.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elubsme
    Sorry to say, but the .357 crimp die won't work with the shorter .38 spl. case. You could grind or file the die to the shorter length. Now if the box of dies say 38/357 you are in business. You can load the longer cases with the shorter die but not the opposite. In the old days I made a spacer to put in place when loading the 357 with 38 dies. This way I didn't have to readjust each time I changed calibers. I did the same with 44spl/44mag. Eddie
    mine does
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    quote:Originally posted by elubsme
    mine does
    Then you must have the dies for the shorter case. It is physically impossible to crimp a 1.155" (.38 spl.) case in a crimping die set up for a 1.290" (357) case. The case is too short to reach the beveled crimp in the die. Please check your die box to see if it says 38/357. If it does, I agree with you. I do have an RCBS set of dies marked .357 with a manufacture date of 1974 that will not crimp a .38 Special. A .38 special will not crimp a .38 Long Colt. A .38 Long Colt will not crimp a .38 Short Colt. But a .38 Short Colt will crimp all four cases if adjusted (unscrewed) to accommodate the longer case. I am not questioning resizing or belling of the case as the stud can be adjusted, but the crimp can not be lowered to accommodate the shorter cases. Anxiously awaiting your reply and in put from other avid reloaders. Eddie
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At one time, dies were made for the .38 and the .357. The .38 dies would load both - merely by adjusting the crimp die upwards to handle the longer .357. But if you had .357 dies, you couldn't crimp shorter .38 cases. In a forehead-slapping moment, it dawned on them that they could make .38 dies and merely label them .38/357 - and so that's how it's now done.

Unless your dies are more than 20 years old, they'll load both. That's also true for .44 spec/mag and even 45 Colt/Casull, BTW. Some but not all 41 Mag dies will load the semi-wildcat 41 Special.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for backing me up, Rocky. Ed
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My RCBS dies have a .125 spacer in the box to do both. Theoretically without adjusting the dies. 1982 vintage
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My dies are the old RCBS. The box has the white lettering on it. The p/n is 18206 labeled .357 mag swc. Probbly at least 20 yrs old cause I got them from my old man. I have about 67 rounds of .357 brass so a trade might not be economical. But email me if still interested.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My dies are the old RCBS. The box has the white lettering on it. The p/n is 18206 labeled .357 mag swc. Probbly at least 20 yrs old cause I got them from my old man. I have about 67 rounds of .357 brass so a trade might not be economical. But email me if still interested.

E-mail me your address and these are yours (I couldn't figure out how to add a pic to a Gunbroker e-mail). Don't worry about sending the 357's, I've got plenty. Shipping is on me too. Us "Junior Members" gotta stick together.[:)]

[img][/img]IMG_0002.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    SWEET!!!!!!!!! I'll be in touch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It'll be in the mail Monday.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Great I'll keep a sharp eye out for it. I have something you might enjoy for you.
  • Options
    gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Toolfogie

How much 357 brass ya got? I got lots of 38 special brass I don't need. Maybe we could work out a trade.

As do I. Inm fact, even if you don't need the .38's I still would be interested in buying the .357 brass. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
    GH1[:)]
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just for reference:
    All of my RCBS dies are marked on the top with a 2 digit number indicating the year of manufacture.
    [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I called RCBS today. They informed me that I would have to get a 38 spl seating die. It won't work the other way around. So now the search is on.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, just as we suspected. BTW, I was in the exact same peccadillo a couple decades ago: had a set of RCBS .357 dies and couldn't load .38 Specials with them.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.