In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

20 vs 12 Youth Competitive Shooting

On day one of the instructional youth season a coach told my second year shooter (hitting 18 to 20 in both trap and skeet) that he needed to get rid of his 20ga Remington 11-87 and learn to shoulder a 12ga so that he would "hit more target, just simply based on the percentages". In my mind he is already playing in the kids head making him think his gun is inferior and that he is letting the team down.

As an adult novice to competitive shooting - How much truth is there in this? What is the jury's thoughts on the matter?

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The smaller the gauge, the better the shooter needs to be (for consistency).
    IOW there is a reason that the .410 is considered a "pro shooters" gauge on the skeet field.

New shooters tend to get frustrated with the game easily enough with a 12ga. Forcing them to stick with a 20, 28 or 410 just increases the frustration level.

IMHO Beginners should shoot the largest gauge that they can handle the weight/recoil of.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    +1.

If he can handle the 20ga, he can handle the 12. I really hate this 20 ga. start for ladies and youth. I have had much better luck starting shooters with 12 ga. light target loads (unless under 12 years old). The coach is correct.

Best regards
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Geeguy & Tailgunner:

Ya both got it Right ! Making a kid shoot targets with a small gauge gun is only handing them a handycap they don't need. Bigger bores equal better patterns and shorter shot strings. (all other things being equal)
  • Options
    mk19mk19 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to disagree with you guys,
    but the gauge of the shotgun is not relavent to the hitting
    percentage on the trap or skeet field, what is relavent is the
    way the shotgun fits the shooter. You simply can not hand
    a 90 Pound 5 foot nothing kid a 8 pound 12 gauge that has a
    14.5" length of pull and expect him to hit anything. Size the gun
    to the kid, not the other way around.
  • Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In trap shooting the 20 is a handicap since targets are broken at 35 to 45 yards. In skeet shooting the range is 21 yards. Many top competitors use a 20 gauge in the 12 gauge event to avoid the fatigue and the results are identical scores. Scores and records show the 28 and 20 are just as good at skeet as the 12 with the .410 slightly lower. Consider the 12 for trap only and watch the improvement.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    MK19:
    I would greatly disagree with you. (of course, that's what a forum is for, all opinions)

1. No one said the gun shouldn't fit, would agree that the fit is the most important.
    2. 90 lb. person can handle a 12 if they can handle a 20. Weight of gun is very close if you choose the right guns.
    3. light 12 load is about the same kick as a 20.

Almost everyone I know that started with a 20ga youth (including myself)and quickly changes to 12 ga., so why not start with a 12?

It does come down to picking the right 12 ga. and having the proper fit. But if I were the coach of the team I would want my shooters to be using a 12 ga.

Best regards
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 12 gauge puts more shot in the air that a 20 guage. How many times have you seen the magic pellet break off a piece of a bird?

Also if he is shooting trap and skeet and he wants to be competitive, he should have a seperate trap gun and a skeet gun or he is being handicapped as both have features unique to their sport.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    A 12 gauge puts more shot in the air that a 20 guage. How many times have you seen the magic pellet break of a piece of a bird?

Also if he is shooting trap and skeet and he wants to be competitive, he should have a seperate trap gun and a skeet gun or he is being handicapped as both have features unique to their sport.

LOL!!!! 1oz of shot is 1oz of shot regardless of which Gauge it is coming out of same number of pellets no more no less (given the same pellet size mind you) We buy flats of shells in 20ga 1oz #8's this puts nearly 20% more shot in the air than does a 12ga loaded with 1 1/4 of 7.5s with less recoil to boot.

IMO fit is key, if they can't hold it they can't sight it if they can't sight it they aren't going to hit anything regardless of the number of bbs they throw at it. comfort is second if they can't comfortably shoot 3-4 rounds each practice the gun is too big
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Odawgp
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    A 12 gauge puts more shot in the air that a 20 guage. How many times have you seen the magic pellet break of a piece of a bird?

LOL!!!! 1oz of shot is 1oz of shot regardless of which Gauge it is coming out of same number of pellets no more no less (given the same pellet size mind you) We buy flats of shells in 20ga 1oz #8's this puts nearly 20% more shot in the air than does a 12ga loaded with 1 1/4 of 7.5s with less recoil to boot.

IMO fit is key, if they can't hold it they can't sight it if they can't sight it they aren't going to hit anything regardless of the number of bbs they throw at it. comfort is second if they can't comfortably shoot 3-4 rounds each practice the gun is too big

With 12 ga, you can shoot 1 1/8 oz. You're not restricted to 1 oz.