In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

resizing 223 brass

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
FWIW, when I'm doing a batch of 223 brass, I lube the first couple of pieces and then don't have to lube for awhile and sometimes the rest of the batch. They resize just fine, but I'm wondering if I'm damaging my die?

Comments

• guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are you using for lube?
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do a similar thing. I lube every case. and before I slide it into the shell holder, I lightly rub the necks with my fingers (that have case lube on them just from handling the cases). I use Dillon spray lube. I put my brass in a bucket or box, couple sprays, shake around, and good to go. I also have a worn out bore brush that I'll put a little bit of lube onto and just a quick in-and-out for the inside of the necks. I'll use the brush on the first thru third or so cases and then not again until it feels a little "scratchy" Your method may be working fine depending on what type and how much lube you're using. If you notice any little tiny dents in the cases after sizing, you're using too much lube. If the cases feel like they're scratching or slightly sticking in the die, you're using too little lube. If you notice neither, I'd say your method is working just fine. When I'm done loading, I'll use some break free or wd40 to oil up the dies for storage. When I'm ready to begin loading again, I'll blast them with brake cleaner to remove the oil and hit them with a couple shots of air from the compressor to make sure they're dry. All of the steps I've listed that I do were taught to me by a benchrest shooter. It may be overkill, but it works.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're not damaging your die but with with the method you're using you are quite likely to get a case stuck in the die.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll agree with Ambrose in that you are taking a chance sticking one in the die. I've done that before and had one stick right after the last dozen went just fine.

What I like doing is feeling every case and knowing there is just minimal lube on each one so that they also come out the same. A case without lube is going to stretch just a little bit more than one with lube. The is especially true in the neck. Although, this is a critical area not to over-lube. As noted clean with a brush and that will leave just a tiny bit to ease back out over the expander ball. That is if you use one.
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't lube everyone I have found that my velocities tend to vary. And you will get a stuck case eventually. Also you will wear out your press quicker.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I lightly lube them all. Especially if it is range brass.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's keep this simple - line up a row of cases facing the mouths toward you - sweep the row with Hornady's One Shot seeing that some gets into the case mouth. Let dry a minute, roll cases 180 degrees to get the other side. Lube that side, wait one minute and start sizing. Then a quick wipe with a cloth - I don't need lube in the guns chamber.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After having many stuck cases sizing range 223 brass, I have tried several lubes. At this time, my choice is Midway spray lube applied by dumping 150-200 cases in a 10x12 plastic pan(like the hospital bath kit has) and giving them 2-3 sprays of lube. Shake it around a little and start sizing. The 223's don't need much inside the neck if they're clean. I used to set cases in a loading block to lube but that is just too slow compared to this method. Running the sized cases in the tumbler for 1-2 hours gets the lube off and leaves them ready for trimming w/o much mess. I hand process 223 brass by the bucketfull each winter as a passtime so get a fair amount of experience.
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 I use a large zip lock bag and throw in some brass, give it a couple sprays, shake it around, throw it in the case tray, and I am ready to reload.
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    Soak some old engine oil on a sponge , rub case .Hey presto !