In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

308win/125gr sierra pro hunter/o.a.l.

rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
hello;

anyone shoot the 125 grain sierra pro hunter in their 308win.? what is your o.a.l.? thanks for any input.

rp

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot several different bullets in that weight range. I seat them one caliber deep, without regard to what OAL that gives me because that bullet will always be shorter than optimum. If you try to seat it out to match the loaded length of a 150-gr, you will have very little bullet shank inside the neck.

Oh, one other tip: don't try for Warp Six speed. You'll get much better accuracy and all the expansion you need if you load them to 2800 fps. Too fast and they just about explode on impact - and that is NOT good, even on coyotes. If you are thinking about using them on deer for some reason, just take my advice: don't. They aren't made for that, but regular 150-gr bullets are.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have taken sika deer with the 125gr nosler balistic tip,..BUT it does explode on contact. My shot was maybe 7yds from a stand, so that may have something to do with it.. I would not shoot deer under 100yds with a bullet that light, but it does work well when it has slowed down some.

Seat them so that at least 1/2 the bearing surface is inside the case neck.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took a mule deer with the Nosler 125 BT and got full penetration with a quarter-sized exit hole. BUT, that was from a 30 Herrett Contender and the range was 350 yards (425 of my strides!) Impact velocity was probably 2000 fps or less.

I've used other bullets in the 110 to 135-gr range in that pistol and all performed well on deer from ten to 300 yards. I've also used them from a .308 Win on coyotes and such - and they expanded viciously giving very shallow penetration but huge surface wounds if the impact speed was over 2600 fps or so. That's why I say that such bullets are not a good choice for the ethical taking of deer using a rifle round.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.