In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

358 winchester..Pretty Pissed

uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
I have been having a LOT of trouble chambering my 358win correctly. It is a Remington 760 originally in a 35 Remington but re-chambered to 358win. I picked it up because I wanted a 358. He sold it kinda cheap and quickly. I didn't think anything of it. After having a lot of trouble chambering a round through countless hours at my press, I took it to a gunsmith and it turns out that it is chambered incorrectly. Factory 358win rounds won't even fit (Winchester silver tipped for 63 bucks a box)....anyone want to purchased a poorly chambered 358 Winchester?

I think I'll be looking for a stock 760 barrel in a 35 Remington because I do not have one and I need a brush gun out here in Wisconsin...

people and their dishonesty.

-JD

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Might wanna cast the chamber and see if it can be reamed out to proper 358 dimensions...
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iwannausername
    Might wanna cast the chamber and see if it can be reamed out to proper 358 dimensions...

If I recall correctly if it was .35 Rem. , you should have to just run a .358win reamer into it. If your cases don't go in now, are you sure it is .358win??? Sounds like a "short ream job" Bob
  • uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya I'm sure its a 358. It is punched "358 win" on the side. Only thing is the 358 fits, only if you SLAM the pump shut. a nice and easy flow motion will NOT close the bolt, it needs to be slammed. And sometimes if you do that, the bolt won't grab the base of the shell and it needs to be pushed out with a cleaning rod down the muzzle. it is only a 16" barrel, so I will be keeping my eye out for a 760 in a 35 Remington. I believe they are 20 inch so its a little longer.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "Might wanna cast the chamber and see if it can be reamed out to proper 358 dimensions..."..........+1, might be a simple fix. if it's just a couple of thou. you could even use a .308 or .243 reamer.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What grabbed my attention is "it's only a 16" barrel." I'd be terribly afraid that it's a whisker UNDER 16" and we all know what that means: Fed offense.

Time to re-barrel.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Might want to close the bolt and put a rod down the barrel, mark it and then measure it. I would want it to be 16 1/4 for safety.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by uni82
    Ya I'm sure its a 358. It is punched "358 win" on the side.

With all the problems you're having with chambering, I wouldn't trust whats punched on the barrel or that it was done correctly. I'd have the chamber cast to see what the chamber dimensions are.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds to me like it's been "ball peen" gunsmithed - at both ends.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like the shoulder of the chamber wasn't cut in far enough, or the chamber walls are not cut out enough. The jamn of the bolt to get it to lock into battery is a sure sign.

pull it, and run a reamer in it to the correct depth. Should be a $50 fix.

if the barrel doesn't make 16", thread it and have a muzzlebreak installed, then you will be over the 16" legal limit. You sure don't want to go messing with federal regulations.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I definitely agree with the others in that you should see if it's possible to fix. In the end, you may get what you originally wanted for a whole lot less $ than buying another barrel in .35 Rem. Also, I agree with installing a muzzle brake to achieve legal barrel length if necessary. Both are relatively inexpensive to do and both together would probably still be less than the cost of a factory replacement .35 Rem barrel even if you had to pay a COMPETENT gunsmith to do it for you.
    edited November -1
    Awesome thanks for all the info. With the bolt shut i measured the barrel and it says its 19 1/4". That is to the bolt face though. From where the barrel fits to the receiver and to the muzzle its 16 and 1/4". There are marks at the end of the barrel of which a muzzle break has already been installed. I am going to go to a reputable gunsmith about getting it reamed out or his professional opinion as well. I also need a scope mounted on it, might as well do all of it at once (muzzle break/chamber/scope mount). It will be worth it once I can chamber a round correctly. Other then those problems, the gun is REALLY nice.

-JD
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .358 Norma Mag might be a REAL tight fit![:D][:D]
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a lot of good, useful information!
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same gun , a rechambered .35 Rem. 760 . Mine runs like a Swiss watch ! A clean , polished chamber is very important with these guns since they have virtually no camming power , or pulling power for that matter . I don't know how well touching up the chamber with a different reamer will work out , maybe taking it to 35 Whelen would be your best bet. The .358 is a hand loaders caliber and that's pretty much true for the Whelen too but at least there is more than one factory load for it ! I hope you get it straightened out , they are a Deer killing machine !
    edited November -1
    yea my father has 6 358's so i picked this one up and im pretty bummed out. I wont be able to touch it for a while because I have other firearm related projects that I would like to address. I have a couple of hunting rifles but this one will be done. Hopefully early next year!

-JD
    edited November -1
    Got it to chamber correctly. I am a newbi reloader. The MAX length is 2.800. The factory loads is 2.750 in length. I kept dialing it down 1/4 turn at a time. The fit perfectly at 2.629 inches. That is a little short but they fit! Thanks for all your help and good information!

-JD