In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

5.56 Flash Hole Question

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
After depriming and sorting a large lot of 5.56 brass, I have been removing the small tab that remains after a flash hole is punched in at the factory. On the batch of IMG brass the flash hole is smaller than the commercial, LC and WCC brass. What effect does a smaller flash hole have? Should I just enlarge the hole, which is pretty easy to do with the flash hole tool, for uniformity with all my other brass?

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "Should I just enlarge the hole, which is pretty easy to do with the flash hole tool, for uniformity with all my other brass?".......well, yes, you should resize them for uniformaty . Some time ago I came up with a batch of 7.62x51 (mil. .308 win.) brass from radway green. this batch had very 'undersize' flash holes. I redrilled 1/2 of them with my flash hole uniformer and did accuracy and vel. testing to compare them. the under sized holes gave better vel. and s.d than the standard sized ones. the small holed cases would pull the decaping pin from the resizing die.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    use an .063 (#52) drill for uniformity.