In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hodgdon powders

Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
Have some old Hodgdon 4895 powder ---- is that the same as IMR 4895 ???

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not quite, but close enough for argument. The Hodgdon is probably surplus...depending on what you call "old".
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's the absolute best answer. Think of them as fraternal twins, not identical.

If you follow the ages-old method of beginning with Start loads, you will never have a problem, even if you have H and the data is for IMR or vice versa. Just don't dump in the maximum charge as your first load.

Note that the advice in that paragraph does NOT extend to ALL similarly-numbered powders. Some are different enough that you MUST use data for that specific powder.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the same charges/volume metering when loading IMR and H4895 and have no prob when loading under max.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my experience, H4895 is a little faster than IMR4895. I use both in my Garands and one gr. less of H4895 about equals IMR4895 velocities. That is: 45 gr. of H4895 gives about the same velocity as 46 gr. of IMR4895 with a 168 gr. bullet.
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm reloading for a .300 Win Mag.

The old means 20+ years old. Has been in my storage ( temp controlled, etc.), just haven't reloaded for anything that uses that powder for a long time --- I'm mostly handgun.

I loaded 5 rounds at 56. gr Hodgdon 4895, with a CCI 250 primer, slight crimp, pushing a 180 gr. soft point.

Afterwards , I got to thinking if the two powders are the same ?, the burn rate according to my chart is almost identical.

I have pourposely loaded at a minumem. Just want to be safe[?]
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not the best powder IMO for the .300. Too fast burning, pressure will top out before you get to .300 Mag. velocities. 4350 and slower have the best burning rate for your .300. Of course, if you're going for practice or plinking loads, you should be fine. You should be getting in the 2600 fps neighborhood. Come to think of it, that's .308 territory and the .308 is not exactly a slouch as a hunting round. So, if your rifle likes that load, it would probably make a fine deer load.