In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hornady Lock-n-Load AP question

I am going to get this press after Christmas and was just wondering if it comes with any shell plates. I could not find this info on the Hornady website. I've seen nothing but good reviews on this press, I can't wait!

Comments

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to this, NO. Shellplates have to be purchased seperetly as are dies. I do not own one so i'm just trying to help.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=679228

"Wondering what extra parts to purchase? Well, the press comes complete with a Lock-N-Load Powder Measure, case activated powder drop, cartridge catcher, primer pick-up tubes and 5 Lock-N-Load Bushings, so the only thing left for you to purchase is the easy access shellplate, dies and any additional bushings you'll need. (all available at MidwayUSA)."
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you will need:
    Shell plate and dies.

Later you may want:
    Taper crimp die, if loading pistol(straight wall) Eliminates bell flare.
    More bushings(for dies), for more than one caliber.
    I bought the pistol powder rotor for the powder measure. It smaller and seems to throw better when doing 6-7 grains. Now I have one set for 40SW and one set for 223. You still have to tweak for different powder lots.

Great press, you'll love it. I do.

By bushings, I mean the quick change bushings the dies go in.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skyfish
    What you will need:
    Shell plate and dies.

Later you may want:
    Taper crimp die, if loading pistol(straight wall) Eliminates bell flare.
    More bushings, for more than one caliber.
    I bought the pistol powder rotor for the powder measure. It smaller and seems to throw better when doing 6-7 grains. Now I have one set for 40SW and one set for 223. You still have to tweak for different powder lots.

Great press, you'll love it. I do.

They now come with the pistol rotor (my hunting partner just ordered one from cabelas and it had both pistol and rifle rotors)

Bushings??

Mine came with three one for small rifle, pistol and mag rifle

I bought a universal powder through expander for pistols works as designed

they are great presses

they also come with a fiber rod that goes into the primer tube and locks back the primer feed telling you your out. I found that a piece of brazing rod inserted into the primer tube helped keep the last one from turning on edge locking up the primer feed
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm trying to wear out my Hornady Projector so I can get the LNL. I don't think I will before I'm gone (and I've had it for 30 years).