In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

300 ultra or 338wm

JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
I have a possible deal on either a M77mkII in 338 or a Rem700bdl custom deluxe in 300 ultramag. I'm a little familiar with the 338 and my other M77s are amazing tackdrivers. I have no experience with the 300 ultramag at all. I don't need either one but that has nothing to do with it. Probably will only be shot for fun at very long ranges 600+yds. Just wanted some opinions. They will be handloaded exclusively.

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you are handloading, and are shooting 600+ yds, IMHO the 300RUM is the better choice. The 200-240gr .308 pills really take off at those distances.

Mine loves 200gr pills and H1000
  • JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I couldn't decide so I got both of them and just for fun I got matching .223's in both manufactures. Now I have to hide all of them in the safe till christmas. The 223's are for my wife. She is a coyote shooting machine. Maybe that will keep me in good graces.
    What exactly is the load with H100 and what manufacture of bullets?? Any favorite loads with the 300 RUM or the 338WM would be greatly appreciated.
    Also my other 223's are all 1 in 7. I'm assuming that both the M700 and the M77 have a slower twist. 1 in 9 or 1 in 10 ? to be more suited to lighter varmint rounds?

BTW I can never explain how I feel when I get that long shot right on, regardless of caliber.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my chamber is a tight chamber in a match grade barrel, so my data will vary from what you will find. My max load with a 200gr SMK, was 88gr H1000 in a remington case with a fed gold medal match magnum primer,
  • JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much. I'm looking forward to this with great anticipation