In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need info on 45-70 lead bullets

im not up on lead out of something faster then 1000 fps . what makes lead 45-70 bullets with no gas ck not lead the barrel?

pro's con's , yes ok no not ok?

Comments

• Options
    FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bullets need to be sized for your barrel--usually .001-002 larger than groove diameter--and lubricated with a good-quality bullet lube. Alox/beeswax 50-50 mix is a standard, but there are many other good ones on the market. Work up loads following recommendations in standard loading manuals.

If you cast your own, you can get good results with alloys from 1-40 tin/lead at the soft end to linotype at the hard end, depending on powder type and charge.

I get good results in my rifle with relatively soft 405-gr. plain-based bullets up to around 1600 fps. using IMR 3031 and RL7.
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    don't cast my own looks like a pain in the =====

i just have a Handy rifle 45-70 and found some cheep 300 lfn no gas ck on the end .

on the lead i do shoot I'm down around 800-1100 fps in my 45acp ,40 ,10mm, 44mag,9mm and don't get much if any leading but higher fps I'm not sure hoe one get to shoot hot loads.

was just asking before i bought something i cant/don't need
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Relube the bullets with Lee liquid alox thinned with mineral spirits. This will allow you to shoot cast bullets significantly faster before leading occurs. When shooting lead, accuracy, not speed is my main goal. Ed
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The problem with many commercially cast bullets- but certainly not all- is that casters for some reason use the hardest alloy they can get, size them uniformly to book spec (NOT 1/1000 or 2/1000 oversize) and use a really hard lube.

All of which spells leading.

First off, you need to slug your bore. If the bullets in question are a little over groove size, that's a good start.

Then consider the lube. Hard lubes are best suited to gas check high velocity rifle use where pressure and rpsms and centrifugal force are sufficient to allow them to work. In a plain base 45/70, 50/50 lube or other medium hard lubes are best.

Finally, alloy hardness... a hard cast bullet can do just fine, but again if it is too hard, especially if slightly undersized, it does not bump up and obdurate properly.

Give them a shot, however this is the very reason why a lot of folks cast- to make sure to avoid the problems above.

In 45/70, I cast for my trap door. Bullets need to measure .461" for me at least, as the grooves measure .460." Whereas book spec says .457."

Leading is caused by pressure and gas etching of the base and blow by and subsequent gas etching of the sides of the bullet in some cases, coupled with insufficient lube performance (the lube acts as both a seal to prevent this and should deposit a layer for subsequent shots).

For a mild load I'd try Trail boss or 4198. If commercially cast the lube probably isn't good for black powder (a whole nother ball of wax) so I'd not go that route with what you have.