In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm mag loads

miracle351miracle351 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
i am new to the reloading world, i have a remington sendero 7mm mag, and was wandering if anyone had any suggestions on loads for it.

Comments

• Options
    mk19mk19 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How are you planning to shoot it, Long range target work? Hunting? or just ringing the 300 yard gong at your local range?

My all time favorite load is using Bergers 168gr VLD on top of 61.0gr of IMR4350 with Remington cases and CCI magnum primers, this load has been very accurate for me and is sub MOA in everything I had put it through, expect 2900 to 3000 FPS depending on rifle specs.

This is considered a max load, so work it up gently.
  • Options
    44pinshooter44pinshooter Member Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forums.......
    I am a new guy here too. There is lots of good info here.
    The 7 Maggie is a love of mine. The best thing is to get at least 3 of the loading manuals and then pick out what you want the gun to do for you.
    Hunting or target shooting. I have my hunting loads and then loads for just punching holes at 100 yards and loads for busting rocks way out there, when I go out to WY to visit my friend.
    Remember, if you are just punching holes on paper at 100 yards, you don't have to run it full speed just 'cause it says MAGNUM. You can use a load that is a listed starting load from the manuals and a lighter bullet. The shoulder you save may be your own.......
    Good luck!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info, i do alittle both hunting and punching holes just knew to it and didnt know where to really start. cant find any old timers that live around me that reload to pick their brains so here i am
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what garin bullet are you going to be using?

How far do you consider far?

all these things matter when choosing a bullet style/weight/design
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Colt sauer and custom MkX both are more accurate with loads a little on the hotter side. Not max but a bit on the warm side. IMR 4350 works well for me but I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice here.
  • Options
    weldboyweldboy Member Posts: 470 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use 66gr of imr 4831 with 140gr nosler balistic tip,THIS IS MAX LOAD SO START LOWER AND WORK UP
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    Mine loves 66gr of IMR7828 with a Fed 215 an a 150gr Nosler Ballistic tip.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    150 grain is what i have been using n factory rounds. and as for distance if i can see it i'll take a crack at it...lol
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by miracle351
    150 grain is what i have been using n factory rounds. and as for distance if i can see it i'll take a crack at it...lol

May I suggest you work up at various distances on the range first?[;)]

For the 7mm Rem Mag, I found I liked the Hodgdon H1000 best, with RE22 and RE25 in close second and third.

If your twist is closer to 1-9" then you may be able to stablize up to the Berger 180's. It will definitely stabilize the 168's. The Sendero has a tight enough twist to stabilize all the heavy hunting 175's.

Start loads with the H1000 for 150's @ 68 gr. For the 168's Start @ 65 and for the 175/180's start @ 62 Work up a ladder in each bullet weight in .5-.6 gr. increments. When you find your best accuracy, look no further for powder and load. Then you can fidget with seating depth.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I'll second what Todd said. My Remington 700 BDL (1962 vintage) likes H1000 better than anything else. I load H4831SC in my 270s, 30-06s, and my 300 Win Mag, but could never get it to work realy good in the 7mag.
    W.D.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have taken deer cleanly at 500yds with a 150gr balistic tip (factory load), so 150gr+ woill work well for your "far poke", but I would suggest moving up to 160gr-180gr pills for better performance at extended ranges.

I'll defer to these guys on powder, as I have only tried 4350 thus far, and the fed prem. 150gr NBT factory ammo shoots into 1 hole, so I spent very little time working with my sendero and handloads.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info guys it really helped me and i'll let u know how it goes