In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading Question about presses

I'm wanting to get into reloading, and just get a simple press and kit. What do yall think about Lee? It's only going to reload maybe 1000 .357 loads a year, and maybe a little bit of this and that. I've found two kits, that both look good, and I think for both the only thing I would need to purchase to get started is dies, powder, and lead. Opinions?

http://tinyurl.com/3a3ucw3

http://tinyurl.com/2b66a2o

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Primers, don't forget primers. I've had great service from Lee products, and from your described need should be more than adequate.
    W.D.
  • Options
    coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November -1
    Yea, I know I need primers, but I was concentrating on other things (looking through CTD) when typing this. Sounds good. I think one of the local libraries has a reloading manual (gotta love living in a small town in NC) that I'll check out, and I'll try to find some reloading info on the internet (by reputable sources such as hogdens or any other powder maker, not some hack job typing what he thinks and I blow up one of my guns cause he doesn't know what he's talking about) to go by. Mostly, it's gonna be target loads and just plinking rounds, also I'm wanting to get a 45-70, and it would be cheaper to buy 100 rounds of ammo for it and keep the casings. Another question, how can you tell when a casing has gone bad, so to speak? I mean, how do you know when to stop reloading a certain casing?
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's great the library has reload books BUT buy the ABC's of reloading and read it front to back before you start!
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I would get the 90030 due to the auto prime parts. While I have never considered Lee to be "top shelf" (except for recent dies), I have acquired several single stage presses over the years (came with mass purchase)and found them to be adequate for the loading you are trying to do.

I would recommend the 4 die set of Lee dies with the final crimp die on the .357.

Best of luck, welcome to a great hobby, same cost just shoot more.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by geeguy
    I would get the 90030 due to the auto prime parts. While I have never considered Lee to be "top shelf" (except for recent dies), I have acquired several single stage presses over the years (came with mass purchase)and found them to be adequate for the loading you are trying to do.

I would recommend the 4 die set of Lee dies with the final crimp die on the .357.

Best of luck, welcome to a great hobby, same cost just shoot more.

The "same cost shoot more" sounds about right. This will be a christmas gift, probably buy it for myself and christmas will be my excuse. I got to looking, and with a 45-70 it still doesn't come up much cheaper is I use ammo barne's bullets, but I'd end up with a better hunting round. I'm thinking about getting a bullet mold for the 45-70 bullets, and just casting them out of scrap lead. I already cast my own .50 mini balls for my muzzle loeader. Anybody got any recommendations for finding lead (I know wheel weights, but some are made out of some sort of alloy) and a mold of the correct size. I have never went to the store and bought a mold, last one I got was at the flea market. But the loadings hogden had for the 45-70 really impressed me, I think I'm sold on it now.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee is fine. Get one of their Classic Cast presses, which are as good as anything out there and cost a lot less. If you have to, get one of their cheaper kits and the good press separately. The little light-duty press in the cheaper kits will come in handy for things like bullet pulling, depriming, cast bullet sizing and such.

You'll find that you can reload for a bout a third the cost of factory ammo - and you'll immediately start shooting five times as much. You'll actually spend more, but shoot a whole lot more.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This one
    http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/10551

Or this one
    http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/14706

Or this one
    http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/12960

Buy QUALITY, cry once. Forget the Lee reloading stuff, except for dies.

THAT IS MY TWO-CENTS AND I'M STICKING TO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm don't know if you've ever examined a Classic Cast press, bpost; you might have a change of opinion. They truly took every really good feature of the other presses and rolled them into one. They compare impressively. (pun intended)

Some of their other stuff is - well, less than impressive. That Zip-Trim, for example. Their powder measures have some notable drawbacks, although their beam scales are actually pretty good.

Their dies are as you describe, very good indeed. Their Factory Crimp Dies and Collet Neck Sizers are brilliant.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Whooo I saw those prices and I almost crapped my pants. Ha, just kidding, I ain't done that since I was like 6 (fell off the monkey bars at school literally knocked the s**t out of me). But that's a good bit of money to me right now. Heck, $100 is a good bit of money to me right now. I don't mean no disrespect bpost, but i'm thinking about just getting the Lee kit for now, and later when I get a better job and start reloading more, get something better. It's kind of like guns. A broke 18 year old might start off with an SKS for deer hunting (that's what I'm using right now), but they know eventually they're gonna put the SKS away and go buy a 700 or something like that. Start small, slowly work up, and that way you've got extra stuff in case you need it later (like later down the road you have a son, and since you already got 2 presses yall can both reload at the same time). That's just my way of thinking, might be logical, might not, but it's how my brain works. [:D] Now that I think of it, when I get my "bonus", if I can find the guns cheap enough on the auction side (I based my pricing off of new gun pricing, but a good used one will work fine) I might be able to swing that redding or that lyman. If I was to go ahead and get the Lee kit and some dies, would I be able to use those dies on the other presses?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    I'm don't know if you've ever examined a Classic Cast press, bpost; you might have a change of opinion. They truly took every really good feature of the other presses and rolled them into one. They compare impressively. (pun intended)

Some of their other stuff is - well, less than impressive. That Zip-Trim, for example. Their powder measures have some notable drawbacks, although their beam scales are actually pretty good.

Their dies are as you describe, very good indeed. Their Factory Crimp Dies and Collet Neck Sizers are brilliant.

A friend of mine has a Classic Cast press, it is a nice press indeed; your observations about the other Lee products is why I recommend a kit from Hornaday, RCBS or Lyman for beginners. Buy quality, cry once is a lesson I've learned. The folks at Lyman had some really great sales on their kit recently.

Lee dies are fine and dandy, I have several sets and am happy with them. They don't have the finish of my Redding Competition dies but since the job is done on the inside of the die Lee external finishes are not important.

Coltpax, save your money for a while; keep an eye out at garage sales and the GB auction site for a good used press and the other equipment needed. You can save a substantial amount of money in the long run by buying wisely in your younger years.

Reloading equipment and wives should be chosen with great care, keeping the future in mind. The first I have done well in [:D], the latter, not so much [B)]. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    coltpax and bpost are BOTH right. It is best to start with the best you can afford - but what you can afford may not always be the best.

There are times when good enough - is. There will come a time when good enough for now can be replaced with good enough for anything.

Welcome to the brotherhood of handle pullers, coltpax. It is simultaneously an addicting, frustrating, perplexing and satisfying pastime.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I have a Lee Classic Cast single stage, an old Herters single stage, a RCBS Rockchucker Jr and a Lee Classic 4-hole turret press. The Lee Classic single stage is a really nice and well made press, comparable to the Rockchucker Jr. I use it for 44mag and 50AE loading. For the price, there is not much that compares.
  • Options
    insightpainsightpa Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am also looking into buying my first reloading press and kit. i was thinking of going with the lee deluxe reloading kit with the 4 hole turret press because i plan on reloading many different calibers and i want the speed of a turret press. what do you you guys think about that press?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by insightpa
    i am also looking into buying my first reloading press and kit. i was thinking of going with the lee deluxe reloading kit with the 4 hole turret press because i plan on reloading many different calibers and i want the speed of a turret press. what do you you guys think about that press?

More gooder...............
    http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/10552

Reloading speed is NOT increased with a turret pres in my experience. It just helps reduce die swapping time.
  • Options
    Betrite1Betrite1 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a first press and kit that comes with most everything needed for the beginner I would recommend the- (here is there write-up)
    RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit, RCBS has taken the new benchmark of single stage presses and surrounded it with the equipment you need (except dies and shell holders) to start loading like a pro. A simple solution for the beginner and pro alike, it is easily upgraded to progressive operation with the optional Piggyback-4. The Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit includes: Rock Chucker Supreme press, 5-0-5 scale, Uniflow powder measure, Speer reloading manual #13, hand priming tool, hex key set, case loading block, case lube kit, powder funnel and deburring tool., Mfg No: 09357, Manufacturer: RCBS, Warranty: If any of your RCBS equipment breaks or doesn't work, they will fix it or replace it. No time limit. No questions asked.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I like the classic single
    stage presses.
    I've had a rock chucker since the
    day I started reloading and try
    as I might I can't stop popped out
    primers from going everywhere.
    The Lee has a tube that fills up
    with them and it's great.
    I also like being able to vary
    the length of the pull handle.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First you need the ABC's of Reloading book.
    Then the Lee Anniversary kit is the perfect starter kit for everyone wanting to get into reloading.
    Here is a good one here with the new breech lock.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=203170889
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, The press is second IMHOP. Its techniques and load prep that makes it. Not trying to blow the horn here. But I have seen guys spend thousands of $ on the promise of accuracy. (Dillion Blue press) is one of them.

I have seen top reloaders in my years use basic reload equipment to achieve outstanding results.
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Personally, The press is second IMHOP. Its techniques and load prep that makes it. Not trying to blow the horn here. But I have seen guys spend thousands of $ on the promise of accuracy. (Dillion Blue press) is one of them.
    I have seen top reloaders in my years use basic reload equipment to achieve outstanding results.

I started on lee equipment and its ok if you stay under a thousand rounds a year and just a couple calibers. For metallic ctgs I have mounted to the bench 1 old "Texan" turret, 1 "Hollywood" cast single stage. I Dillon 550. For handgun ctgs the Dillon is awesome. My lee 1000 was passed along a while ago. If your looking for the best 3 rounds for benchrest or even hunting rifles I stay on the single stage. Handgun ammo... My dillon kicks out accuracy that is much better than I am. They cost a little more but not that much more and well worth it. I'm just saying...

And yes it is more technique than press. A good press makes good technique even better IMHO
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used LEE tools for the last 25 years in single stage, turret, and progressive presses, dies, priming tools, trimmers, and powder handling tools. I suppose I can afford higher priced tools, but the LEE does an adequate job for the money spent. Sure, the aluminum frames wear out but like cars, those become salvage parts for the next one. I've loaded 25-30K of 9mm,38 Spec, and 223 in addition to several thousand rounds of hunting ammo(conservative estimate) over the 25 years. I've had some parts failures for sure and like I said, I have a few parts left over but overall, I've been satisfied with the service life provided by the LEE products. I've even worn the pin off the pilot on a couple of 223 trimmers and don't know how many chucks LEE has replaced for me(I use the universal trimmer chuck). Since you seem to be an avid budding shooter, I'll offer you one of my somewhat tired LEE O presses if you pay the shipping. There's still a lot of loading left in it, leaving you more $ for dies and a GOOD scale and manual(I'll even throw in a 48th issue Lyman).