In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hold that Scope down

walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
I have been using scoped pistols all my life

I remember one time I used loctite of some kind and I could not remove the screws

I had to drill them out.

Loctite D grade (orange) is something u want to stay away from. A sealant for bearing, sleeves and threads.

Loctite 242 removable ( blue) works great but heavy odor and in the short time I'm writing this with the container on my desk I can feel a headache coming on

These are about 30 years old so there are probably much more advanced items out there now.

But what I have been using on my mounts and scope rings is clear nail polish

Nail polish has a plastic base that gives the screws that extra resistance.

Now for extra heavy recoil monster guns I don't know and probably will not work

But a mount on the slide of a 45 and scope rings I have never had any trouble with.

If cleaned properly, like I would use paint thinner ( or what ever u have on hand) on a rag and turn each screw in the rag until I would not see any residue. And each thread hole mini Q tipped with cleaner and air blown

Comments

• Options
    BIG ALBIG AL Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you try heating the screws up to release the thread sealer?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had to use a soldering iron on screws with poor slots that were set with red Loktite. Also had to heat then put the driver bit in the slot and tap it with a nomar hammer to break the hold. I only use red at the bench and have a small tube of the green wicking formula for those times when it's absolutely needed.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loctite is great. If you keep it torqued down you dont need it.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the red loctite. I have had screws stick and what i did was heat up a paper clip and hold it on the screw. It backed right out after the heat melted the loctite.