In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lee Challenger Press Modification

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
I use mostly LEE equipment and recently had a brainstorm while sizing small pistol cases. I decided the full stroke and leverage was unneeded with these little cases. Having a couple of salvaged presses laying around, I took a spare operating lever to the chop saw and cut it off. Leaving slightly more than half the lower end of the handle seemed about right. I now have a full stroke with half the arm movement and it's much easier to stop the ram about half way down to swap another case in. I sized 750 +/- 380 auto cases today w/o the sore elbow or shoulder I usually get from this many strokes. I'm going to chop another when I get time to use when seating bullets.

Comments

• Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makes sense. I've always choked up on the handle,propped an elbow on my knee and used mainly finger, wrist and a little elbow motion.
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The real trick is keeping the wood ball from falling off. Mine comes off all the time. I have glued it, jb welded it, and nothing works.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drill a golf ball and glue that on with epoxy. That's what I did on my press. Very comfy handle as a result.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. Do you remember what size drill bit you used? I have a digital caliper at home but not with me and I may stop by the hardware store on the way home.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used Gorilla glue on another handle and it's been solid for about a year. If you're having this problem, use a grinder or Dremel to cut a shallow groove about 1/2" from the end of the handle and then use Gorilla glue.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gknaka2, I measured my press handle and then ground down an old flat wood bit to the right size. Cheaper to replace one of those than trying to find a twist drill of the right size.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.