In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

nickle plated brass

Ga boyGa boy Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
I've heard pros and cons about loading nickle plated brass.Is it that bad on your dies?

Comments

• Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer nickle plated brass ! I haven't seen any damage to my dies over the years . Regular cleaning of dies is standard maintainense for me , maybe that's why I don't have any problems with it . The ammo loaded with nickle plated looks as good in five years as it did the day it was loaded . Regular brass doesn't look so good after long storage !
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer nickel plated vs brass....easier and quicker to clean...and looks good for a long time after reloading
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Wait till the nickle peals and scratches your carbide die [:0][xx(]
    You guys won't be praising it then [;)]
    Also it cracks a lot faster than plain brass, so you don't get as many loadings from it.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "Wait till the nickle peals and scratches your carbide die "..........not much of a die...........nickle is softer than carbide. I prefer it for 'hunting' as it dosen't tarnish and feed 'slicker'. plane brass lasts longer.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can vouch that nickle can and does flake off, especially at the case mouth due to repeated size/expand cycles. I can also vouch that those flakes can embed themselves in a steel die, cannot be removed and will ruin cases sized in that die forevermore. When RCBS replaced that die, they told me they see it quite often. It cost me nothing but some aggravation, a few cases and some lost time - but that was enough for me to swear off most nickle-plated cases.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the purpose. If you are going to load them a lot forget it they neck split faster and CAN flake off hunks of nickel. If it is for hunting, shooting them a few times them and enjoy the bennies of less corrosion potential and easier feeding.
  • Options
    grandmangrandman Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used it in the pass and the nickle came off after about three reloads. Be safe with your dies and your chambers and don`t use it more than once. Trade it off if you can. [8D]
  • Options
    03lover03lover Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used both nickel and yellow brass for over fifty years.

I have found some manufacturers nickel brass can flake off or cause early case neck splits after minimal shooting and others last forever. I have some 45 ACP and 357 magnum nickel brass that has been fired countless times and is turning yellow from repeated cleaning and still no problems.

I think the quality of nickel brass varies from batch to batch as as well as with the different manufacturers. That has been my experence. It is no different than the variation we see in the hardness of brass. Even the same manufacturers brass varies from batch to batch. Some split early and others don't.

Sad to say, unless you spend big bucks for the best brass available, you can't be sure how good the brass is going to be. Manufacturering quality or lack of, with the general manufacturers leaves much to be desired.