In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any of you use auto bullet feeders on progressive?

I am getting a Hornady LNL AP press and wondering if it is worth it to get the auto bullet feeder. I have heard mostly bad reviews on the RCBS feeder but not too much on the Hornady since it is pretty new. Just wondering if you guys have had experience with these or any of the other bullet feeders out there.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Bullet feeders are probably the hardest thing to get to work correctly on any Progressive reloader. I have been loading 45ACP ammo for many years and have loaded over 300,000 rounds on Star reloaders. I buy and then sell setup then mentor in their use for new shooters in my state . Every time one of the other shooters gets a different brand of reloader with bullet feed I go and look at how this maker designs his bullet feed . I have not found any that work[:(]. When I say work yes most will work PART TIME but when they fail then it takes more time to remove cause of failure and get going again then time spent feeding bullets by hand. I think the biggest problem lies in the fact that the shape of the previous bullet nose in relation to the next bullets base and different length of different bullets is a big detriment to getting a bullet feeder to work 100% and of course trying to use lead bullets with good lube is out of the question. YMMV
    "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Perry, thanks for the info! I think I'm going to hold off on the bullet feeder for now. Maybe in a year or two they will work out alot of the bugs and come up with a solid design.

While I have you on here though, I was thinking of swapping out my Lee dies for the new Hornady Dimension dies...is that worth it in your opinion?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Above all you need Carbide dies "then no need to lube cases and you need a separate TAPER CRIMP die if loading semi auto straight walled pistol cases . most all brands of dies are good but some have more of a open mouth on the die and dont hang up in a progressive reloader. Remember the alignment of the case to the mouth of the die is very important .On a Star this has an adjustable L shaped part some reloaders only have a button and case is not held in place very well . I would keep what you have for now unless they are not carbide.you might want to read the sticky post on top of this forum postings. about crimping pistol rounds .
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    tried one on a lee pro 1000 it now sets in the drawer with the powder auto measure

i only use the pro1000 to de prim / size and prim / flair

rest is done with a uniflow and seat with my rock chunker, if what I'm loading needs a crimp i use an old rcbs Jr to crimp

had the pro 1000 skip 3 charges before so now the trust factor is gone, uniflow i can see what goes in the case
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that may be too much automation. I like to visually check powder as I place the bullet. My .02, do it manually.

A case feeder, different story. Don't have one, but that would be faster.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I'm getting the LNL with the auto case feeder. Also going to be running a RCBS Lock out Die after the powder drop to have that added safety feature. I have the Lee carbide pistol dies but have heard so much good about the Hornady Dimension dies I might give them a whirl.