In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 ACP short barrel loads

steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
Im about to load up some 185 gr. 45 Auto for full power defense loads. I was thinking I would work up to max charges of both WW231 and Unique powders. Ive loaded thousands of rounds for 5 inch barrels but these will be for a 3 inch barrel. Is there a better powder for short barrel defense loads? Will the powder make much of a difference between 3" and 5"? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The powder is burned before the bullet gets out of the case. The extra barrel length simply gives the gas pressure more time to push the bullet faster before it hits the air and starts slowing down. You will see a MV drop based on the barrel length, not so much the powder used.

I would use the 231 for your purposes.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bpost is absolutely correct; but if you don't believe him, the classic load of 5.0 Bullseye will do ya just as well.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    1917watercooled1917watercooled Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to get off topic but, I always been told NOT to used your own reloads for self defense. Logic is, the lawyers will tell the judge/jury that you loaded up some kind of "monster killer" bullet that didn't give the poor jerk a fighting chance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, that comment always opens a huge can of fighting worms. Get out your popcorn, boys.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1917watercooled
    Not to get off topic but, I always been told NOT to used your own reloads for self defense. Logic is, the lawyers will tell the judge/jury that you loaded up some kind of "monster killer" bullet that didn't give the poor jerk a fighting chance.

That has been discussed at length, resident lawyers weighing in too. There is no validity to the issue, you shoot some one to STOP them, the idea of a "monster killer" bullet has been dispelled.

Stop and think about the Geneva Convention. You have to use FMJ rifle and pistol bullets to reduce tissue damage, but it is equally acceptable to drop a 80MM mortar on the enemy while he sleeps in his fox hole, blowing him to smithereens with only a boot and a hunk of arm left after the blast, go figure.
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1917watercooled

Yes, but...
    Gold Dot HP (Winchester Silvertips,etc) are available both as factory ammo as well as bullets that can be reloaded. How would they know the difference once the rounds are in your magazine and the "box" (perhaps that was never in existence) is in a landfill somewhere.

Just be creative and it's easy to stay out of trouble when SHTF
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    As Rocky stated,the old standby of 5gr Bullseye works great. I carry a Star PD, it shoots 200gr XTPs as well as any of my 5" guns. 5gr. Bullseye and 200gr XTP is a very good reliable carry load.
    W.D.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Would the 5 grains of Bullseye work with a 230 grain bullet too? I am using 230 grain Remington Golden Sabers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The original and still standard military load was 5.0 Bullseye and the 230 hardball. Still works. They used a non-canister version of Bullseye, naturally, but the canister kind we can buy is nearly identical.
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I want to thank everyone for the help.