In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pistol break in

Finally started going to the range instead of letting pistols just set in the safe. It is a load of fun, now that i have more time.
A particular pistol i'm shooting, a Beretta 92fs seems to be accurate enough, was new, now has around 400 rounds through it. At the range,I rented a Glock 17 and was surprised that i could hold a tighter group with it.
I have hunted all my life, but being new to target shooting i wondered this question-
Keeping in mind that my shooting will improve with more range time and technique will the Beretta (itself) start to group better once it has a few thousand rounds through it ?

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While it is theoretically possible that the gun might "wear in" and polish out some microscopic burrs that cause inconsistency, it is doubtful whether anyone would be a good enough shot to tell without a machine rest. I'd suspect that you just shoot the Glock a bit better due to ergonomics or sight picture. More practice with your Beretta might reverse that, too.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also, if you used the same ammunition for both pistols, and I can only assume you did, since you did not factor that into your comparison, one pistol might like one ammunition type better and thus, perform better.

I carried a 92FS when I was in law enforcement and found it to be very finicky about ammunition types. I finally shot expert with it but it was difficult because we were limited to a specific ammo type during qualification that was not ideal for the pistol.

I personally have never liked the feel and sight pic of the glock and will never purchase one.
  • Options
    cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    Thanks to the above posts, i will post again in a few month's of shooting with various ammunitions. And i am sure the Glock is a fine carry gun with so many in use by Law enforcement and polymers have tested stronger than steel, but for range shooting i like the heavier feel of the Beretta. I also take along a .22, cheaper to shoot.
    Yesterday at the range a guy said here, try this and handed me his Kimber .45 to try. What a rush!
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    The reason LEOs shoot Glocks is that they are cheap, period. No other reason.
    W.D.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    W.D.

If that were the only reason they'd be using Hi-Points! They're also accurate, light, easy to maintain, and utterly dependable.
  • Options
    DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    W.D.

If that were the only reason they'd be using Hi-Points! They're also accurate, light, easy to maintain, and utterly dependable.

. . .and designed in such a way any idiot can use one with minimal training. They also make great dog chew toys.