In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Plated or jacketed?

pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
Should I use Copper plated or jacketed bullets for 9mm reloads or are they the same thing?

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not the same thing. If you get Handloader magazine, I have an article on plated bullets in the current issue. Probably still on many newsstands.

Plated bullets offer a viable "third choice" that lies between cast and jacketed bullets in the areas of cost, performance and effectiveness. For general shooting, they are a very good choice.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you [:)]
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 to what Rocky says, as usual. I shoot ONLY plated bullets as they are cheaper and perform just as good. Be very careful though, you can cut or shear the plating off if you crimp too tightly resulting in separation. The copper is much thinner on a plated bullet than a jacketed bullet.

They are definitely not the same thing and should not be reloaded using the same data.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've loaded a lot of the plated bullets because they're cleaner than lead and cheaper than jacketed. They seem to be safer when shooting at steel plates since they're soft and don't splatter as much. Pay close attention to belling the case mouth just right as they tend to catch there if not enough belling.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 243winxb
    You should be able to find FMJ at same price as plated...

Where?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Some plated hollowpoints might involve a separate punching operation, as 243win says. Speer's Gold Dot bullets are one example. However, some plated hollowpoint bullets like those from Berry's Mfg do not. Berry's forms the lead core in a punch press - complete with hollowpoint cavity - before they are plated. No extra steps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Again, I would like to know where plated and fmj are the same price. Last I checked plated were about $25-30 for 250 and FMJ were about $20-25 for 100.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He's probably talking about milsurp pulled bullets, which can sometimes be very cheap - and almost worth the price.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The above info was not correct, sorry. I was thinking of this thread. quote:the difference in prices between JHP vs. FMJ.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=557370&highlight=cost+of+9mm+bullets+plated+fmj
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Holiday brain fog. Happens to the best of us.
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about use of plated bullets in Glocks, H&K P7s and others where lead bullets are a no=no?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is that because of the octagonal barrel?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's because of the polygonal rifling, yes. And plated bullets are fine in such barrels.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to be careful when reloading plated bullets. You have to load them like lead or low power loads. They are not jacketed so no high power rounds. Myself I dont like plated bullets its either lead or jacketed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, as I wrote, they are "tweeners." So you can load them to levels between cast and jacketed. That's a very useful slot, IMO; and plated saves you both the effort of casting your own and the expense of buying jacketed.