In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

300 Win Mag

bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
Not having the greatest success in getting my Savage shooting like I want it to. Have tried 180 gr hornady SST's and 175 Gr Berger Hunting VLD's. Best groups are about 1.5" at 100 yards. Would you move up or down in bullet weight or what else would you try first?

Comments

• Options
    IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    Which powder are ya using[?] Ive had great luck with RE 22 and 180 Sirocco's seated to mag length.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Several different including RE22. IMR 7828, and IMR 4831. Also tried Hornady 180 BTSP's
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've shot 300 Win Mag for 40 years, I've always had great results in accuracy and knock down with Nosler 180gr bullets and Hodgen H4831SC.
    I've shot the same rifle for all these years and it still shoots better than 1"moa at 100yds. I've got a truck load of elk horns to back that statement up.
    W.D.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1.5 inches is not bad. Have you read several loading books for the tricks of the trade. Some dies are not so good, can you try someone else's set. Have you checked the press's ram and shell holder for fit? How are you cleaning the rifle and do you shoot at least one fouling shot. So how is the action and barrel bedded. How good are the optics, both you and scope/mounts. One last thought have you ever shot sub 1/2 groups with anything? It might not be the gun/ammo that needs work.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had considered the fact that it might have been me. I used to shoot a ton and now not so much. However, I debunked this theory when I load tested my 308 and got groups under .5" to .75" with it. I am using redding dies, bushnell 3200 straight 10x, the rifle is a savage so it is pillar bedded and the barrel is free floating. I had considered the press, but it all seems tight. It is an old RCBS rockchucker from the late 70's. I produce ammo that will shoot 1/2" groups for several rifles, so I don't think that is the problem. I had also considered the barrel. It is very lightweight 2 shots and it is getting hot enough I let it cool. This has been over the course of 200+ shots, so I don't think cleaning is the issue.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: Best groups are about 1.5" at 100 yards. You seem to know guns well. Some rifles just dont shoot well. Its all in the barrel. Some are great, some not so good. You have a 1 1/2" barrel i would guess.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try another powder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any in particular?
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bperdue21
    Not having the greatest success in getting my Savage shooting like I want it to. Have tried 180 gr hornady SST's and 175 Gr Berger Hunting VLD's. Best groups are about 1.5" at 100 yards. Would you move up or down in bullet weight or what else would you try first?

Start from the basics
    First- what kind of Savage rifle do you have?
    Barrel length- IE heavy/Standard 24" 26" 28"
    Twist rate- 1-10 1-12
    Trigger?

All this stuff is in play with your reloads.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is a Savage 111 with a 24" barrel with 1-10" twist. It has the accutrigger adjusted as low as it will go. It is in a synthetic stock, the accustock. I took a dollar and ran it all the way down the barrel with no contact. The barrel is light.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What about moving to the 210 gr hunting vld?
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    I've shot 300 Win Mag for 40 years, I've always had great results in accuracy and knock down with Nosler 180gr bullets and Hodgen H4831SC.
    I've shot the same rifle for all these years and it still shoots better than 1"moa at 100yds. I've got a truck load of elk horns to back that statement up.
    W.D.

Right On! (about the above powder and load combo) Try H4831Sc or H4831 and first load the minimum load, then a average middle load and a load 1/2 way between the min and the average middle recommended. Fire 3 shots and let the barrel cool down between the 3 shot groups! When you find the powder grains it likes start moving the powder back and forth by 1/2 gr load for fine tuning! When you find the 180 gr bullet load, you can reduce your felt recoil quite a bit by going to 150 gr bullets out of the 300 mag, but if it's a long tapered wimpy type barrel you may have to stay with the 180gr bullet for best accuracy groups! If the H4831 is not working with either the 180 or 150 bullets try H4350 or IMR4350. H4350 seems more consistent in the larger calibers, SOMETIMES instead of IMR4350. (the 4350 powder load grains will be more touchy weight wise usually as compared to the H4831. (you can miss the load easily by just 1 grain when using 4350, so test 1/2 grain at a time) Just go by the reloading manual for correct OAL instead of trying to determine the jump! After you find a load it likes then you can play with the jump, which is usually about .020-.040 for a hunting rifle, but on some guns you sometimes have to live with what will feed from the magazine box! (Length of magazine box limits the max OAL of reloaded ammo)
    You can waste a lot of time testing for OAL then the gun won't feed shells from the magazine box if it has one, so go by the reloading manual OAL when first testing. When you find the right load for barrel tuning accuracy, the bullet jump will not be very critical for 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch CONSISTENT groups on a 300 win mag hunting rifle!

Don't try 5 shot groups from the 300 mag, barrel gets too warm!

When you think you have a good hunting load, the final test for proof of the load is shoot a 3 shot group firing one shot each day from a cold barrel and this is the real world hunting group!
    Do not clean or oil the barrel between the cold bore test shots!

I've seen several 300 mags (hunting guns) that would shoot one hole groups with the above powder, if the shooter could do his part.

If it's still not grouping with the above Hodgdons H4831 powder, change scopes and check the mounts! 300's will test YOU, your scope and mounting systems! If it's still not meeting your expectations you need to CORRECTLY glass bed the action to the stock!
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barrel harmonics may be playing with you. You might have to play with the loads to find the velocity where the barrel at the top of bottom of the wave and is not moving.

In the old days, they used to cut barrels a 1/2" at a time until they got the group that was the tightest. Now the BOSS tunes the barrel without having to cut it on Winchesters and Brownings.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Just curious, but have you tried any 220s in it?
    When my MKII77 started opening up with Nosler 180 Partitions; I tried the same load with the 220s (POINT BEING MADE HERE-I SHOOT FOR ACCURACY; NOT RECOIL!)but down 10% from the reduced load I was shooting the 180s at.
    Not certain why, but those blunt noses grouped better than the pointy 180s.
    I try to use whatever powder I have the most of, usually RE22 or Hodgdon 1000, 414, etc. and the lighter loads usually give me more accuracy than full-on "hunting" loads.
    My TRG prefers bullets in the 180-220gr vicinity; never did shoot well with 168s or 170grn Sciroccos.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Berger VLD's should be loaded .050" off the lands, they like to jump. (so Berger said) Try IMR 4350.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    is it the injection molded stock?

are you seating out near the lands?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yes it is the synthetic stock, the newer accustock is what it is called. the SST's were loaded to the cannelure. the VLD's are loaded to where the bolt closes with no pressure
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I looked over the gun and the weakest thing I can see is that I had to use an extended millett scope ring. I am suspecting this may be the culprit. What do you all think?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have had spotty performance with the SST's. Even in a match grade barrel, they were barely acceptable.

Unless that plastic stock has a bedding block, or at the very least, pillars, that could be your weak link. Just grab the stock and barrel in your fist and sqeeze, you will likley see the stock flex with very little pressure. If so, it could flex while simply sitting in the rest.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It says the accustock has an aluminum bedding block.