In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Nononsense...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
I just read your remarks regarding the Vortex Scopes. I have never seen one of these scopes. How would you rate their products (something like the Viper PST) next to a Leupold VX-III...or even a Mark 4???

If you were buying a scope, would you take the Vortex over a Vari-X III??? Inquiring minds want to know... [:)][8D]

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    You got me curious about this powder. Have you experimented with it in the .338 RUM??? Thanks!

quote:IdahoRedneck,

I left this alone since you asked for JustC's information but the bump reminded me that I still have some data sitting around from my testing a while back.

In general, US869 is an extremely slow powder, making it suitable for some applications with large capacity cases or large cases necked down for smaller calibers.

I didn't find a suitable load node for this powder in the .300 RUM even when I was using the longer 210 VLD bullets. It was running about 100 FPS slower than my loads with Retumbo and Re-25. It's also a bit less efficient.

But I did get better results when I used the US869 in the 7mm RUM with the 180 gr. VLD bullets. Good velocity and better efficiency. Similar results occurred when I was testing the .338 Extreme cartridge.

Best.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Is it possible to rework a Remington 700 trigger? I have a Sendero in 25-06 and the trigger pull is over 10.5 lbs. I'd love to drop a Jewel in it, but I was wondering if a competent gunsmith could reduce the trigger pull to down around <1 lb...preferably about 8 oz.?.?

I had a Weatherby SVM trigger reworked once and it was just as nice as my Jewel trigger. Is it possible to do this with a 700 trigger?

I'm also curious to know whether it's worth it to swap out the J Lock bolt shroud on this rifle? Thanks! [8D]
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ECC,

Yes, it's too slow. There are better powders available, Re-25, V V N560 and Ramshot Magnum.

It does however work amazingly well with the 7mm RUM when combined with the heavier bullets.

Best.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was somewhat surprised myself to see how well this worked in the 7WSM as well. From a 26" barrel I was getting just over 2800 with 70 grains of this behind a Berger 180 gr. bullet. Accuracy was good at about .5 MOA @ 300 yds.