In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bullet prices??????????????

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭
Just wondering where you all get the best bulk prices, Cabelas has 40 cal bulk jacketed flat nose, 500 for $60 or somewhere in that ballpark. I need 1200, just wondering if I can really find much better price, more than $5 or $10 dollars on the 500? I think these were 165gr.

after you add shipping most online sites are in the same range $60-75. so is there really a place I can save enough to make it worth the hassle. I just hate to order online, I would rather touch it or see it before buying.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Find a company maybe Midway USA. That will ship USPS flat rate BOX. you can ship 1200 bullets for about $12.00 Look at total price not just price of bullets them-Self.
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I spend more time at Cabelas than at home. The bullets you are referring to are Rainier, which are not jacketted, they are copper plated, thus the low price. You cannot buy jacketed bullets for $10 /100 unless you go back in a time machine...that I know of.

I buy directly through berrys manufacturing which offer their bullets in bulk with free shipping.
  • Options
    utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gknaka2
    I spend more time at Cabelas than at home. The bullets you are referring to are Rainier, which are not jacketted, they are copper plated, thus the low price. You cannot buy jacketed bullets for $10 /100 unless you go back in a time machine...that I know of.

I buy directly through berrys manufacturing which offer their bullets in bulk with free shipping.

Pleading ignorance here...what is the difference between copper plated and jacketed? Platting as the name implies - just a thin layer of copper and jacketed has a sunstantial layer of copper?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    berry's and rainier are roughly the same price, 69.98 berry vs 61.99 rainier, as of their last catalog. As per berry's online, cabelas still has them beat, at least as an in store pickup.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by utbrowningman
    Originally posted by gknaka2
    Pleading ignorance here...what is the difference between copper plated and jacketed? Platting as the name implies - just a thin layer of copper and jacketed has a sunstantial layer of copper?

see this post...

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=492813&SearchTerms=plated,jacketed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    berry's and rainier are roughly the same price, 69.98 berry vs 61.99 rainier, as of their last catalog. As per berry's online, cabelas still has them beat, at least as an in store pickup.

But don't you have sales tax and gas costs?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    as I was going anyway the gas isn't an issue, tax is 6 percent, which makes it just about a wash with the online ordering. If I was running up there just for the bullets yes the gas would make them a lot more, It is just about an hour drive, but you can't count gas when grandkids want to go..[;)]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.powdervalleyinc.com

Cabelas is not your friend on prices, they are a full-bore high end retail outlet.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a fair amount of Rainer bullets. I buy them 1k at a time. I have always used MidwayUSA. I have an account there and they are in my wish list. If they go on sale, I get an email. Or I get a coupon or discount pricing, then I buy. Usually 88 bucks or so, and I usually am getting something else as well so shipping works out well. No sales tax, no gas for trip to town.

I just purchased some 20 and 22 cal V-max's for this summers doggin trip. Just reloading gets me in the mood for that![:p] Both my boys are going this year. Might need a part time job for the extra ammo.
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wifey works at the Myrtle Beach Bass Pro. They have the powder, but next to nothing as far as bullets.

I have found good deals on GB, but you have to be patient. I've paid through the nose because I've HAD to have em now.[B)]

My best deals are at Gun Shows. I have found some awesome deals. The last show in Florence I found some great deals. I got 500 Noslers for the 25-06 and 200 Hornadys for the 222 for $9 per 100.[:p] I got them so cheap because they were in the old 80's packaging. Last I heard, no matter how old they were, they were new unless you shot em.[:D]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check out tj conevera's auctions with paid shipping
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    check out tj conevera's auctions with paid shipping

OH YEAH. Don't forget to put shipping into that final price. I've been killed there too!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    www.powdervalleyinc.com

Cabelas is not your friend on prices, they are a full-bore high end retail outlet.

Bpost 28.88 vs 29.99 not that much more, that price is without shipping.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think what Bruce is trying to say it that, for the most part, you will pay a premium for most of their stuff. A lot of it you can get a good deal, but a lot you will pay a premium...sort of like when you go to 7-11 instead of the grocery store.

Personally, I know what I want before I go there so I don't get suckered into paying the prices that Bruce warns about.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've bought a lot from Rocky Mountain Reloading in Idaho. Here's a link to the 165 gr. flat nose plated bullets. 1000 bullets for $124 including shipping. I've always gotten good service from Jake.

http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/product.sc?productId=34

I bought this bullet once and the wife was standing beside me when I opened the box. You should have seen her eyes light up when she saw the shiny bullets. They look good enough to make jewelry with.[:D]
  • Options
    AgelesslinkAgelesslink Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't mean to sound stupid here, but are you talking about ready to fire bullets, or bullets that need to be made? if so where is the cheapest place to find bulk rounds that dont need machining?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Agelesslink
    don't mean to sound stupid here, but are you talking about ready to fire bullets, or bullets that need to be made? if so where is the cheapest place to find bulk rounds that dont need machining?

Not a stupid question at all. A bullet is the projectile that comes from the barrel of a gun. The cartridge, or round is an assembly of components consisting of a case, primer, powder and a bullet.

What caliber are you seeking?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well im trying to decide whether to get a taurus 1911 .45 acp or a springfield xdm.40 s&w. .40 is cheaper so probably the .40 cal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well im trying to decide whether to get a taurus 1911 .45 acp or a springfield xdm.40 s&w. .40 is cheaper so probably the .40 cal

Picking a firearm based upon ammo cost is not a god way to pick one IMNSHO. If you are new to handguns I would rent and shoot each type to see what you feel more comfortable with.

For pure cost reasons, and allowing a lot more training, buy a Browning Buckmark or Ruger 22 pistol, bulk ammo is 1/5th the cost of center-fire ammo. After you become proficient with the 22 buy the center-fire that best suits your needs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    im not necessarily buying for ammo cost. the xdm has a .45 variant, but the.40 ammo is more in my price range. i also would be kind of embarrassed coming home with a .22.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i also would be kind of embarrassed coming home with a .22.

Have you shot either of the guns you are looking at, putting several magazines through each?

Why would you be embarrassed with a 22 pistol??????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ive shot a 1911. ive held the xdm and like the feel. havent shot it. i like the way the 1911 feels as well. ive shot a .38 special revolver and beretta, but never owned a pistol. i currently have a .22 rifle. been having it since i was a kid. i got a 410 crackbarrel and 12 guage. ive just never "owned" a pistol