In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Critique my setup

utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
I will probably load a 400-500 rounds a year. This is the setup I am going with. Tell me what you think.

Lee Hand Press (already have). For $30, I figure I can sell and get a bench press if I don't like the functionality of the hand press.

Dies: Lee Deluxe 3-Die Set 30-06 Springfield
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=257541

Case trimmer: Hornady Cam-Lock Case Trimmer Kit
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=315831

Tumbler: Hornady M-2 Case Tumbler 110 Volt
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=711534

Scale: MTM Mini Digital Reloading Scale 750 Grain Capacity
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=713049

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll get quite a workout sizing 30-06 with a hand press! I'd look for a used press online, or get a Lee Classic Cast. You can mount the press to a board and C-clamp that to a sturdy bench if you need to have it removable.

A tumbler is not actually needed, so I'd use that money on the press.

You can load fine ammo with a Lee powder dipper set and a small spoon as a trickler in conjunction with your scale, but you'll end up with a drum measure eventually.

Frankly, you'd be better off to get the Lee Anniversary Kit (They still offer them, I think) instead of piecing out the things you need.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If you mean a Lyman 310 hand press, you need special dies for them.

You kind of need some sort of powder dispensing system.

The trimmer you selected is fine, but more than you need for one caliber; the Lee trimmer pilot that chucks in a drill is fine.

You need a priming tool.

I'd just go with a kit as suggested.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't need a trimmer for pistol cases or straight walled rifle.

A press mounted trimmer die, using a file, is a lot cheaper, you might be able to find them used.
    EXAMPLE:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=211362240
  • utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk

The trimmer you selected is fine, but more than you need for one caliber; the Lee trimmer pilot that chucks in a drill is fine.

You need a priming tool.

Sorry, meant the Lee hand press. I'll be doing more eventually but will start out with .30-06.
    edited November -1
    Where in Utah are you? I might be close enough to meet up and give you some training - or go along while you buy if you shop locally.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by utbrowningman
    quote:Originally posted by jonk

You need a priming tool.

Sorry, meant the Lee hand press. I'll be doing more eventually but will start out with .30-06.

Once you trim the cases after firing in your gun and then PROPERLY sizing for your chamber additional trimmings are rarely needed. Please take Rocky Raab up on his offer and advice to go with a different press, or better yet meet up with him to go shopping.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not bad, I would definitely get a real press. Should be a few used ones on this site.

I would also skip the tumbler, for now. And get a powder measure. Also on the dies, look at the Hornady. You can get 100 bullets free and that levels the playing field. Should NOT need to crimp anyway.

Also need priming system. If budget gets in way leave out the trimmer. Usually can get by without for a while.

Add up your cost and compare to this.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=749997
    It may be less expensive kit way, may not. RCBS has a kit as well.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not want to be reloading with a hand press. I would also look at a real scale. Cheap digital scales are prone to problems. You can find some good deals on reloading equipment here or ebay.
  • Willys 1948Willys 1948 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree with all above. You need 2-3 loading books/references too. Essentials are:
    Press (get a bench mount)
    Bench or place to C-clamp press
    Dies
    Priming tool (on press or separate tool)
    Case lube (I use Imperial sizing wax)
    Scale (recommend beam type)
    Caliper (for measuring OAL and case length)
    Powder funnel
    Loading block or two (just make your own)
    Small spoon
    Old rags
    Loading books/references
    Appropriate components
    Loading labels

Nice to have as you have extra cash and if cases get too long:

Powder Measure
    Case Tumbler (I like shinny cases)
    Trimmer & deburing tool
    Primer pocket brush
    Powder trickler
    Other cool stuff you'll discover

Take Rocky up on his offer if possible. Nothing better than having someone show you some tricks and teach you good habits. Otherwise, get a copy of ABC's of Reloading and/or others and read all you can. I'm an RCBS fan but there is a lot of good equipment out there. Have fun and happy shooting.
  • brotus2brotus2 Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd go with a good balance beam scale.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do 280 Remingtons with the Lee hand press - no problem at all. I use Hornady One-shot for lube - get a little in the case mouth.
    edited November -1
    Seems to be the balance scale is preferred over an electronic scale. I assumed the opposite.
    edited November -1
    Both scale types have advantages and disadvantages, but either one will serve a reloader perfectly fine. You aren't running a chemical laboratory where you have to be able to weigh gnat poop.
    edited November -1
    Rocky - heading to Gunnies today. Going with the Lee Anniversary kit.
    edited November -1
    Good choice. You're in Provo/Orem then? I'm in Ogden, but let me know whatever I can do to help you out.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by utbrowningman
    Rocky - heading to Gunnies today. Going with the Lee Anniversary kit.

Picked up some Rem. .30 cal bullets - nothing fancy but will get me started on loading, Lee's book and the various powder dippers. Just waiting on powder and primers but will delve into the Lee book first, get my brass cleaned up and then have a go.
  • gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee book is good, but prepare for the propaganda and blatant Lee plugs.
    edited November -1
    The Lyman 49th reloading manual is good too, I just got it and the information covers it all, including cast bullets.
  • WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You received a lot of good advice; I like Willys1948's inventory and order of precedence, although I would have put powder measure higher on the list.

Of course, then he could have added: RCBS Trim Mate case care, lots more reloading manuals, extra press/s to speed up, and so on. And then, when you get on Midway USA's mailing list, you won't believe how many items you can't live without!
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    The Lyman 49th reloading manual is good too, I just got it and the information covers it all, including cast bullets.
    +100