In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Do you guys ever forget...

gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
What powder is in the hopper? Just wondering because I do it all the time and don't want to be the only one.

I usually dump it out and start over, which seems to be the most logical (and safe) method.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I NEVER leave powder in the hopper.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess that would eliminate the problem. I have never not left powder in the hopper in 15 years...just a really bad habit I guess.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I'm with JustC, I never leave powder in the hopper, after I finish loading it goes right back into the can
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even worse, some powders and some measures are incompatible and the powder can discolor or even dissolve the tube. That ruins it AND the powder. Double-base powders are the worst.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Even worse, some powders and some measures are incompatible and the powder can discolor or even dissolve the tube. That ruins it AND the powder. Double-base powders are the worst.

Not sure if I have ever used a double base powder. Could you enlighten me on these?

I have the following in my "mad scientist" lab (a term from my wife):
    W231
    Bullseye
    Unique
    Titegroup
    VV N100
    Red Dot
    700X
    WSF
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not left powder in the hopper. But also, only one jug/can of powder is on my bench when using it. All other powders are several steps away on the cabinet. I guess if you count 2 days I have, if I'm on a big run(for me)and it gets late or my eyes get tired I finish the next day.

I do have some bad habits but not that one.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leaving powder in the hopper is a disaster looking for a cartridge to happen in.

The generally accepted rules are; one type of powder on the bench at a time, all others on the shelf, never leave powder in the hopper.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I might leave some in overnight when not done loading.
    BUT, I put a piece of masking tape with what powder in in it on the cap [;)] I do this when I fill the hopper.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gknaka, you have several double-base powders in that ist. Among the worst for ruining measure tubes are Bullseye and RedDot, due to their high nitroglycerin content (which is what makes them double-base).

Look at the press of any old trapshooter and you'll see the measure tube an orange-black color - due to leaving RedDot in it all the time. More modern equipment may use different tube material that is more immune to the NG in the powder, but I wouldn't count on it.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only use 700x, but I never leave it in the hopper as it is clear and it is my understanding that light will degrade the powder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looks like I need to break this habit...quickly...among others...LOL
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't say that I do. I used a ceramic cup to put powder in for 25 years, and dipped out of it, then trickled on the old scales. Just came out of the dark ages recently when I started teaching the boys.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No more than 5-7 minutes after I load that last round, my unused powder is back in the original canister that never left the bench. I only also have one canister of powder on the bench at a time. You can't be too careful. [:)]
  • Options
    Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a sticky dot on the hopper with the powder type writen on it. Never had a problem yet.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won't say that this is the dumbest I've ever seen , But it's a contender for the title . One of the reasons I reload is economy , throwing away half your powder is just bad economics and your savings go out the window .
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I leave powder in the hopper all the time. But I don't use more than one powder type per caliber. So if I forget what is in the hopper, I just look at the dies to see what I was loading last. There is only one powder used for each caliber so it's pretty easy to keep track.
  • Options
    kenthorkenthor Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a real good answer. I do not keep powder anywhere near my reloading bench except the powder I'm using. I never have more than one powder at a time on the bench. Kenthor
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YES!!

And I've had to dump it because I forgot what I had loaded.[:(][:(]

I knew I loaded some .223 and then some...a couple...a few bigger rounds of all different powder. No telling what I had in. I think I figured that one was a $15 mistake as I had VV N150 in the hopper.

So, unless you have money or injury available to toss down the drain. Don't leave powder in the hopper without marking it!!!!

Edit:

It would have gotten even dumber if I had thought I really did know, but didn't, and put some H4350 in with the VVN150...in an 8 LB. Jug! Then it would've, could've been a $100 mistake. It was much better to just realize I made the mistake and take the $15 or so loss.

Again, this is all just money. What if I had put some 2015 in that jug and loaded it. I wouldn't have a face or fingers to be typing this. Just another reason to either pull the powder from the hopper or CLEARLY MARK IT. Just like any HAZMAT. It is usually just a whole lot easier to put it back in the jug it came from that is "clearly marked".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ouch...anything VV is $$$$
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bubba Jr.
    No more than 5-7 minutes after I load that last round, my unused powder is back in the original canister that never left the bench. I only also have one canister of powder on the bench at a time. You can't be too careful. [:)]

Same here.