In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recommended books?

keenalookeenaloo Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
Hi there, I want to start reloading, and am finding great information on here. My intentions are to produce more accurate ammo, reduce my costs (yes, in theory, I know I'll be shooting more), and have fun.

I would like to start by reloading ammo for the Christmas-present-to-myself, my beautiful new .38 S&W 442. Eventually I would like to get into 223's and 44 mags (and others I'm sure) for my hubby and family.

I picked up a Lee single stage press for a great price, I could use some pointers on that too, i.e. which brand dies I can buy. My father-in-law just gave us his MEC 600 Jr. also, so I'll be doing some small game shot for my 20ga.

I'd rather spend money on more dies than poorly written literature, so I would appreciate any recommendations on which books to purchase and where to get the best deals on them. Thank you!!

Comments

• Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ABC of Reloading is very popular and informative. Lee book is ok too, but is more of an adverstisement for Lee stuff. When it comes to books, the more the merrier, especially those books for the powder company you intend to use. You can never have enough reloading books to cross check information. Yes, some of them do have typos or other things that may make you think twice before charging a case.

I reload .38 target loads as well as XTP self defense loads.

I started on the LEE and loaded on it for about 10 years, probably longer than most people stay on a singe stage. I now use a Lee turret and lee carbide dies, the 3 die set, not the 4-die. I dont crimp...just my style.

I buy most of my stuff on GB or at midwayusa

The 442 is a great weapon. Factory ammo may be a bit punishing...good thing you are reloading [:D]
  • Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman 49th edition,Sierra,Hornady.Many other good ones to.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    @gknaka2 Yeah I about choked when they rang up the HydraShoks I load when I carry. $25.99 for 20?!?! I'm used to $8 for 50ct 9mm Lugers. Yikes. I'd been thinking about reloading for fun before, now it's almost a must. I'm glad to hear you used your Lee for so long.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll start looking.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lymans 49th....and any others
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by keenaloo
    @gknaka2 Yeah I about choked when they rang up the HydraShoks I load when I carry. $25.99 for 20?!?! I'm used to $8 for 50ct 9mm Lugers. Yikes. I'd been thinking about reloading for fun before, now it's almost a must. I'm glad to hear you used your Lee for so long.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll start looking.

I was also referring to the recoil. With handloads, you can dial it down and make the gun more comfortable to shoot. If I remember correctly, that is a 12 oz gun? ouch!
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally I like the older reloading manuals. If you hunt for them you can get good deals on (another) auction site or used bookstores. If your saving money to buy equipment there are some excellent websites. Try http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lol, I don't think the recoil is that bad, the rubber grips help absorb some of the energy. It's 14.625 oz empty, 16.75 oz with HydraShoks. [:D]

Has anyone read Nick Harvey's Practical Reloading Manual? It got 4 five star reviews on amazon.com, but it's described as for New Zealand and Australia.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ralary
    Sookie Stackhouse
    I read it lately,interesting

Ok, I just googled "Sookie Stackhouse." What do vampires have to do with reloading manuals? Seriously?
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I try to get load books for the bullets I shoot. My staple for 20 years was the 2nd Edition Hornady Book. I started buying them all to make comparisons, and just to read. I have always loved the Hornady books. I have to say I love the Sierra book as well. I have the Nosler book because of the rounds I use.

As far as a beginner book, I would still get an ABC's book. It is a great reference book as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I'm starting with the ABC's by Bill Chevalier. I'll pick up Hornady next, good deals on amazon.com. Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by keenaloo
    Well I'm starting with the ABC's by Bill Chevalier. I'll pick up Hornady next, good deals on amazon.com. Thanks everyone.

Doesn't hurt to go to * on them here or at your local gun store. That few extra bucks might just keep em around.