In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38 special load pressure/1866 yellowboy

jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
Presently shooting a 125gr hornady hp jacketed, with 10gr of 2400, from a uberti 1866 yellowboy 20in barrel, marked 38 spl, getting a reading of 1400fps and does not seem to be too stiff of a load. Do you think this is too much for the rifle? Dropped to 9gr and velocity went way down to 950 fps, and seemed too mild. Anyone else have this rifle in 38 spl, 2400 loads? I like the way 2400 fills up the case 1/2 way or more, burns cleanly.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    In the load book, they got 1,409 out of a 10" bbl. with 17.5grs of 2400.
    It looks like your 10gr load is OK as long as there is no pressure signs.
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think about using lead bullets instead. You can shoot gas-check or Laser-Cast bullets as fast as any jacketed bullets, and they're easier on the barrel and less pressure.

Plus...more historically authentic in your Yellowboy!!
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree. I would use neither jacketed bullets nor 2400 in the Yellowboy. Stick to cast bullets at no more than 900 fps - and follow book loads for standard pressure loads. You could not go wrong with a 158-gr bullet and 3.5 Bullseye. Use a "Cowboy" bullet design such as a roundnose flatpoint to feed through your lever gun.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rocky...always good to get validation! I cast a Lee 150 gr. RN (you can buy lots of similar pre-cast bullets; look for a RNFP) that would be perfect for this rifle.

It is a .38 Spl. Don't try to make it into a .357 Mag. Your longer barrel should add 300-400 fps. over published loads for a 6" revolver.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, and I ought to have specified that. Stick to loads that generate 900 fps in revolvers and your carbine will deliver performance that will just about duplicate a 357 Magnum revolver.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.