In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223 Fiocchi cases

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
Bought a case of .223 Fiocchi ammo for a Rock River AR-15. When trying to size the cases found that they "all" stuck about 3/4 of the way in the RCBS die (had to remove several with case removal tool). I normally use Norma and Mil Brass with no issue, and I did check other fired brass to assure the die was proper. No problem with three other types of brass (all measurements were per the book).

I should also note that I deprimed the brass with the universal Lee deprimer, so that's not an issue. I have not yet contacted Fiocchi and don't shoot much .223.

Anyone else have this problem? Or a recommendation?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    What kind of lube are you using [?]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't had any problem sizing Fiocchi brass. Just finished a batch of 223 that had some in it and before that some 7.62x39 that was about 40% Fiocchi. Sounds like a lube failure.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I use Imperial Wax. While I don't shoot .223 much, that relates to about having reloaded 7-10K over the last few years. Same dies, same lube. As stated, I did do some Norma and Mil just to make sure it wasn't me or the lube, no problem with any others.

I have reloaded Friocchi in many other calibers with no problem.

The head stamp on these is G.F.L. I called Friocchi, tech man was out this week. I don't think it's me (of course I've said that before and been wrong)so I was trying to see if anyone experienced this.

Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are sticking cases using Imperial, there is something seriously wrong with the cases. Wait ten days or so and contact them again, but I think I'd be inclined to treat that brass as non-reloadable. (Their tech rep is probably at SHOT and will take some time to get things back to normal afterward.)
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure you have the correct die and not something like a 222 Rem? When was the last time you cleaned your sizer die? Was there a chance the spindle was turned in too far? Any chance you have a different caliber mixed in with the 223 brass? Suggest taking the die apart regardless of when you last cleaned it for inspection. If it isn't the case and you're using a lube, it only leaves the die.

Sorry. Re-read your posts. If the die is working with other brand brass, it won't be the die.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Boy is my face red!!

I went back and looked at every step vs. the norma brass. Turns out I used a shell holder from a "batch" purchase I made a few years ago and it was just a little bit tight at the slot when full insertion. The Mil and Norma was just a bit (and I mean a little bit) thinner then the Friocchi and the Friocchi was not in full insertion in the holder making it tilt a bit when going into the die.

Changed the shell holder to my RCBS, wonderbar, it works fine.

Sometimes reminds me what just a couple thousands of an inch means.

So sorry to take up everyone's time. I just needed to not make an assumption before taking a long look. Never to old to learn.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, you learned something and WE learned something. Sounds like a wonderfully educational post to me!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.