In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reloads max pressure for 1916 spanish mauser

rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
hello;

got a 1916 spanish mauser several days. is there an on line program i can use to calculate pressure for reloads????

at 50 yards jacked bullets did not do very well but speeds were WAY lower than speer or sierra data. making an adjustment for barrel length, speed was @7% lower than speer data. want to keep jacketed reloads below 45k#, but don't have a clue on how to determine pressure.

at 50 yards, shooting 16.5 grains of 2400, 187 grain gas checked rcbs cast bullet got a 10 shot group (measured) 1.0x 1.1/4in group.

looks to me i can't really trust speed to get a rough idea of pressure with this rifle.

thanks for any input.

rp

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are correct; you can't judge pressure from your MV. The variables of chamber, throat, bore size and bore condition makes pressure measurements impossible unless you have strain gauges.

You may also want to see the barrel length used for the load data. Your barrel may be several inches shorter, accounting for the MV loss.

Have you slugged the barrel to determine bore dia?
  • rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello;

thanks for your replys.

have not slugged the barrel but can tell you a 309 dia. cast bullet can't be "shoved" into the barrel.

the cast load came from something written by c.e. harris. he gave a load 15 grains of 2400 for plinking/100 yard target. 18 grains for hunting. split the difference = 16.5 grains of 2400.

thanks again.

rp
  • FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What caliber? I see "1916 Spanish Mauser" and think "7mm," but your description suggests a .30.

Has it been rebarreled?
  • rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rebarreled to 308win by the spanish sometime in the '50s. rifle made sometime between the '20s to early '40. still trying to find manufacture data.

there is a lot about these mausers not able to handle todays 308win ammo. just don't want to take the chance.

paper or deer for that matter will not know the difference if the bullet started off 2650fps or 2750fps. accuracy is my goal with out going over my self-imposed limit of 45K#. simple c.y.a.

rp