In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AA 2230 powder

hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
Bought some of this powder about a year ago and thought I'd give it a try for both .243s and 22-250s.
Had a copy of their Fourth Edition loading booklet listing loads for these two calibers, but checked their site to see if anything had changed. Low and behold, they don't list it on their site in these calibers. Thinking that was a bit strange, I contacted them and was told the previous company had some "questionable data" and they don't recommend a powder with this fast of a burning rate for either caliber.
Just thought some folks would like to know in case they happened to be using older data.

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't disagree with the folks at Western Powder (Ramshot) who now own Accurate Powder. Some of the older Accurate data was warm indeed. Besides which, Acc #2230 IS too fast for cartridges of those case sizes and bore diameter. It is ideal for the 223 (which ought to come as no surprise from the name) and similar rounds.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky's right (of course!); too fast for .243/22-250, too slow for .22 Hornet.

I load a lot of .223 (varmint, not military) with 2230, and it also works well with 30-30, with either 150 or 170 gr. bullets