.

Scales question

ramdinoramdino Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
I have a rcbs balance scale that was passed down to me. It goes from 0-500 grains. Can I weight small grains like 22.5 grains for loads or do i need a smaller scale?

Comments

  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your scale will do just fine.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zero the scale and weigh a bullet and see how close it weighs the bullet if you don't have a calibration weight for checking the scale!
    A 22 caliber bullet from 35g to approx 70 gr would give you a good idea if it's reading correctly and a 150 220 gr bullet for the high scales!

    What model scale do you have?

    If you suspect anything wrong check the RCBS website, contact us, e-mail or toll free tech service, they are good people and lifetime warranty on most of their stuff!
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am pretty sure you have a 5-0-5 scale, as long as the beam bearing surfaces are free of dust and have not been damaged they are very accurate.

    Make sure you set it on a flat surface, zero the scale using the adjustable foot then try a few bullets. Do not be surprised to see a difference between advertised weight and actual weight.

    As Okie473 said you can use a couple of different bullet weights to check it.

    There is a 5-0-5 scale on the shelf at eye level to the rt of the big Dillon, just above the handle, is that the one you have?

    reloadingroom2.jpg
  • GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    I am pretty sure you have a 5-0-5 scale, as long as the beam bearing surfaces are free of dust and have not been damaged they are very accurate.

    Make sure you set it on a flat surface, zero the scale using the adjustable foot then try a few bullets. Do not be surprised to see a difference between advertised weight and actual weight.

    As Okie473 said you can use a couple of different bullet weights to check it.

    There is a 5-0-5 scale on the shelf at eye level to the rt of the big Dillon, just above the handle, is that the one you have?

    reloadingroom2.jpg
    You must love folgers[:D]
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 19,356 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ramdino
    I have a rcbs balance scale that was passed down to me. It goes from 0-500 grains. Can I weight small grains like 22.5 grains for loads or do i need a smaller scale?
    thats funny 4.5 grains of Unique hits mine all the time...never a problem[:)]
  • ramdinoramdino Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, thats just like my scale. I figured it out. The little cylinder to the right of the pivot gets me the single grains and tenths. I did have to remove some of the iron pellets from the calibration pan to get it to balance. Don't know why it was off from the factory but it is a hand me down. Thanks for ya'll's help. This forum is great.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rcbs may have a download paper for your scale also! Check their web-site and you can e-mail them for info and sometimes takes 5 days for a e-mail reply, but they will eventually answer and the promptly thereafter. If the pans has been exchanged with another scale (mixed up or replaced) is usually why the pellets have to be added or removed for calibration! If you happen to see it hanging just little bit, take a q tip and denatured alchol and clean the balance beam pivots, wipe it down with a anti-static dryer towel and you are usually good to go! I keep a heads up and keep styrafoam away from my scales when using because styrafoam will sometimes have static electric and upset a scale somewhat! (affects the magnetic balance beam i guess! Store it so as dust does not settle onto the unit! A small gnat's bristle or dust will make them hang-up![:)]

    RCBS will make it right if you have trouble with any of their products!
  • 76k2076k20 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    I am pretty sure you have a 5-0-5 scale, as long as the beam bearing surfaces are free of dust and have not been damaged they are very accurate.

    Make sure you set it on a flat surface, zero the scale using the adjustable foot then try a few bullets. Do not be surprised to see a difference between advertised weight and actual weight.

    As Okie473 said you can use a couple of different bullet weights to check it.

    There is a 5-0-5 scale on the shelf at eye level to the rt of the big Dillon, just above the handle, is that the one you have?

    reloadingroom2.jpg


    bpost,

    Are you sure that is a 5-0-5 scale? It looks like a RCBS 5-10 scale to me.
  • ramdinoramdino Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    76k20. You are right it is a a 5-10 . I found the manual on rcbs website. Thanks for alls help.
  • ramdinoramdino Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    okie 743. I got the manual from rcbs site. Thanks. So far rcbs has been johnny on the spot with any emails being answered in less than 24 during the week. I almost started with dillon equipment but judging from rcbs support and everyone on this site I like my rcbs rs press and equipment so far. course I have not loaded the first round but I'm learning right now. If i could find some RCBS ar 223 dies I could get started. They seem to be so new no one carries them yet.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ramdino
    okie 743. I got the manual from rcbs site. Thanks. So far rcbs has been johnny on the spot with any emails being answered in less than 24 during the week. I almost started with dillon equipment but judging from rcbs support and everyone on this site I like my rcbs rs press and equipment so far. course I have not loaded the first round but I'm learning right now. If i could find some RCBS ar 223 dies I could get started. They seem to be so new no one carries them yet.


    You wrote this: They seem to be so new no one carries them yet.

    You lost me on this one! Huh?

    Look on the gunbroker site for reloading equipment and e-bay.
    I also like Hornady dies! (mainly due to the elliptical (tapered) expander ball on the sizing die.)
  • ramdinoramdino Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS has a new die set that looks to be expecially designed for the ar 15. It is so new that none of the dealers in my area have even heard about them. Here is the link.
    http://www.rcbs.com/whatsnew/#newproducts
Sign In or Register to comment.